Linking DB to local repo committed changes

muaddbamuaddba Posts: 18
I'm just getting started with this tool, so please bear with me.

I was demonstrating how to link a DB to source control with one of my developers who uses Mercurial for source control. To show him how, I walked him through linking his local DB to his local source repository. He never did an initial commit or anything like that. Unfortunately, this caused a commit in his local repository of some Java code, which was pushed to the central repo and applied in our test environment before it was ready.

Is there some documentation on maintaining a repository for SQL changes alongside the rest of the application code changes for the database so that we can avoid this problem? When I commit DB changes I don't want it to commit other changes in the repository, and I certainly don't want it committing stuff when I just link the DB.

Thanks!

Comments

• Which version of SQL Source Control are you using? Could you please open the file:

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Red Gate\SQL Source Control 3\CommandLineHooks\Mercurial.xml and

find this:

<key type="string">Commit</key>
    <value version="1" type="GenericHookCommand">
    <CommandLine>hg commit -I "($ScriptsFolder)*" -l "($MessageFile)"</CommandLine>
    <Verify>exitCode == 0</Verify>

Does yours look the same? I think we may have fixed the default behavior to not do the push.

David Atkinson
    Red Gate
    David Atkinson
    Product Manager
    Redgate Software
  • I am using SQL Source Control 3.

My config file looks just like the one below, thanks.