Latest version of assemblies

JanezJanez Posts: 21
Hello,

I am using SQL Comparison SDK 8 and I have the following questions:

1. The package comes with assemblies of version 8. I suppose that the assemblies distributed with Comparison SDK are the same as those distributes with the installation package of SQL Compare and SQL Data Compare. Can I safely use assemblies bundled with SQL Compare and SQL Data Compare to distribute my applications created with Comparison SDK?

2. Is there some separate package available (e.g. zip file) with the latest version of RG assemblies to distribute them with custom applications that use Comparison SDK? As I said, the assemblies received with the Comparsion SDK 8 seems a bit old now (according to their version), I am sure newer versions are already available since there are already SQL Compare 10 and SQL Data Compare 9 out.

3. I also have license for SQL Comparsion Bundle, so all four applications that are part of it are on my machine. I checked their installation folders to see which are the latest versions of assemblies, so I could pick them there for the distribution of my custom applications. To my surprise SQL Compare 10 and SQL Data Compare 9 install folders do not contain such assemblies (for example, RedGate.SQLCompare.Engine.dll). The only installation folder that contains such assemblies is the installation folder for SQL Packager (version for mentioned assembly in there is 8.50.25.21).

In short:
1. How can I quickly determine the latest version of assemblies to distribute them with my custom application?

2. Where can I get these latest assemblies?

Thanks

Comments

• Thanks for your post.

In short, your theories are all correct - you can use the DLLs from Compare/Data Compare in your SDK project.

Unfortunately, in version 10, the DLLs are now embedded directly into the SQL Compare executable.

The team are currently working on an update for both Data Compare and the SDK to bring them up to the same level as SQL Compare, and I'm hoping this should be available fairly soon. I don't have an exact date, but within a couple of months (with the updated SDK maybe more like a month)

Hope that helps!
    Systems Software Engineer

Redgate Software

• Hi James,

thanks for your answer.

Since I will have to publish my application sooner, can you tell me where can I download the latest version of the assemblies that are currently available?

I don't mind if they are in zip or in some exe installer; just provide link, if you can.

Thanks
  • Unfortunately we don't have standalone assemblies of the later version right now- as I mentioned, they are embedded into the main executable for Compare now at build-time and can't be extracted for various technical reasons.

You'll need to either continue using the v.8.50 assemblies, or hold on for a few weeks until we release the update I'm afraid.

Redgate Software

• Any news about release date?
  • Possibly the end of this week - failing that, it should definitely be next week

Redgate Software

• James BJames B Posts: 1,124 Silver 4
    The latest v10 Comparison SDK is now available here

Redgate Software