SQL Backup 6.5 UI configuring for multi-user

msouphymsouphy Posts: 7
edited December 12, 2011 5:11AM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
Hey,

we have installed SQL Backup 6.5 on a clustered environment.

I have installed the User Interface on a central management server, and I have configured a shortcut to it on the desktop of the "public" user so that every administrator who connects to this central management server, sees the shortcut to SQL Backup.

As I understand, the SQL Backup UI settings are user-dependend (like the configuration of the server views (groups, locations, etc))

What I'd like to achieve is to have one central configured UI instance so that any admin can open it and directly see the configured servers, so basically making in user-INdependend.

Is this achievable ? If so, how ?

Also, I'm trying to relocate the activity cache location to another drive and outside a user-specific profile, by going into Tools -> Activity Cache Location, but whatever I put in there, it doesn't take it into account and when I restart the UI it's automatically reverted to the standard location (inside my user-specific profile).

Thanks for any help on this.

Mathieu

Comments

• Eddie DEddie D Posts: 1,780 Rose Gold 5
    Hi, thank you for your post into the forum.

What you are seeking cannot be fully achieved. Currently the SQL Backup GUI is user specific and that user's configuration is then stored by default in the users profile:

Windows 2003 server and XP
    C:\Documents and settings\<user_name>\Application Data\Red Gate\SQL Backup\Server Data
    and
    C:\Documents and settings\<user_name>\Local Settings\Application Data\Red Gate\SQL Backup\Servers.Dat

Windows 2008 & 2008R2, Vista and Windows 7
    C:\Users\<user_name>\AppData\local\Red Gate\SQL Backup\Server Data
    and
    C:\Users\<User_anme>\AppData\Roaming\Red Gate\SQL Backup\Servers.dat

Whilst you can give everyone the same configuration by copying the above file into each users profile. Any changes by that individual are then not transferred to the other user profiles.

I have added the details of this call to an existing feature request for the SQL Backup GUI to be operated and managed centrally. The reference for this request is SB-4567.

I have replicated the same behaviour when trying to relocate the SQL Backup GUI Activity Cache. Therefore I have submitted a bug report to highlight this issue to the development team, the reference for this report is SB-4861.

Many Thanks
    Eddie
    Eddie Davis
    Senior Product Support Engineer
    Redgate Software Ltd
    Email: support@red-gate.com
  • Okay thanks for the reply. Great to know you've put it in the pipeline for future developments.

Thanks again