Apply generator settings to a set of columns at once

rcd.guerrarcd.guerra Posts: 15
Hi there,

we are evaluating SqlDataGenerator.

In this project we have a somewhat big datamodel (~200 tables) and some columns have the same generator settings.

Is there a chance to define the same settings for a particular column and apply them at once for all tables without having to manually do this ?

For instance, all tables have a 'STATUS' column with values ranging from A, I and D. I want to specify this at the generator settings level, but dont want to do it in all tables.

Thanks in advance.

Best regards,
Ricardo

Comments

• Hi, thanks for posting!
    There's no way to copy generator settings across tables that I'm aware of. What generator does it currently auto-select for the column in question? One solution would be to create your own generator using one of the XML files in c:\Program Files (x86)\Red Gate\SQL Data Generator 2\Config as a starting point. You'll see some of them (for instance 'extensions.xml') have a "matches" setting; this helps hint Data Generator into selecting that generator for any given column name. So by setting one for "Status" at 100%, and making it generate the type of data you want, you may be able to achieve the effect you're after.
    Systems Software Engineer

Redgate Software