Change default TFS port

Our TFS server is setup on port 80, rather than the default of 8080.

How can I change the default port in SSC?

Cheers
Phil

Comments

• Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Hello,

I don't believe there is a default port setting for TFS that you can set in SQL Source Control. Any web-bsed system will have a default port of 80, which is the Internet standard. Any other port number has to be explicitly included in the repository URL that you link to.
  • Thanks Brian.

When you link a database, the port shown in the dialog is 8080. If there is no "setting" for it, then it must be hardcoded.

This makes it a bit fiddly as we have to change the port to 80 every time we link a database.
  • So is there no way for this to be changed? Is the port number really hardcoded!!
  • It must be edited from the 8080 default. As soon as you've put the server URL in, the box will ungray and you can type it in. But you'll need to do this each time for now.

How important is this ability for you? Linking a database to source control shouldn't be a frequent task.

David Atkinson
    Product Manager
    David Atkinson
    Product Manager
    Redgate Software
  • Its a pretty sore point at the moment as we're moving from SVN, Bugzilla and non controlled databases, to TFS and SSC. This is just one more item for the devs to be upset about.

We haven't finalised our process for updating developers local databases with fresh data from production. So we're having to restore their local databases at once a day, 2-3 times a day in extreme cases. This means we have to re-link and get latest.

The repeated restores may have upset the workspaces as well, but I'll submit another post about that.
  • What we're hoping to do in a future version is to add an extended property to the database that contains the repository information. This means that relinking to a database shouldn't require the user to put in the repository information again.

I guess we should also make the tool remember the last port number that was used so I'll raise a bug for this (ref SOC-3044).

David
    David Atkinson
    Product Manager
    Redgate Software
  • csmithcsmith Posts: 138 Bronze 1
    Hi

Sorry you are having a problem with this. Can you please confirm if the below workaround works for you?

You should be able to specify a port in the Migration Scripts repository URL field. For instance, to specify port 8081 I would add the following:

"http://my-tfs-2010rtm.mydomain.com:8081/tfs/sqlsourcecontrolcollection";

If you have already connected to a Migration Script location but against the wrong port, you will need to unlink and re-link your database from source control to be able to edit the Migration Script URL.

Sorry this is convoluted, we will look into making this easier in the future.

Best regards,
    Chris
    Divisional Development Lead
    Redgate Software
  • csmithcsmith Posts: 138 Bronze 1
    I should have added... if you don't want to unlink and relink the database and are comfortable editing xml files, you should be able to add the port specification to the URL by editing the following file:

C:\Users\[yourusername]\AppData\Local\Red Gate\SQL Source Control 3\LinkedDatabases.xml

You'd need to close SSMS first and then look for the entry for the database you want to change. Then find a node called ServerUrl under the LinkedMigrationsLocation node and add the ":8081".
    Divisional Development Lead
    Redgate Software
  • Is this fixed in SQL Source Control 3?