How to use SQL Backup to restore to a different server?

matthewfmatthewf Posts: 5
edited October 5, 2011 9:42PM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
Hi,
i am using SQL Backup (6.4.0.56) to backup all my db servers. I like the compression achievable with the compressed SQB files.

In this case my question is about two servers - we'll call them prodserver and testserver. Both servers have a db called mydb. The copy of mydb on testserver is months old.

I need to backup the mydb database from prodserver and restore it over the top of the mydb database on testserver; thus 'refreshing' my testserver database with a copy of production.

can i do this with sql backup 6? i don't seem to be seeing how...

Thanks!

Comments

• peteypetey Posts: 2,358 New member
    Assuming you are backing up the database to the local disk:

- you could copy the backup file to a network share on your testserver using the COPYTO option (described here)
    - then restore from that backup file on your testserver using the LATEST_FULL option (described here)
    - or you could skip the copy step and restore directly from the prodserver, but you would need to share out the backup folder
    Peter Yeoh
    SQL Backup Consultant Developer
    Associate, Yohz Software
    Beyond compression - SQL Backup goodies under the hood, updated for version 8
  • Ok - thank you for the reply.
    So my follow up questions are:
    1) so there is not a way to do this through the Redgate SQL backup gui then?
    2) should that syntax you referenced work with sqb files? or is that for native sql backups?

Thanks again
    Matt
  • peteypetey Posts: 2,358 New member
    You can schedule a backup job which copies the backup file to a network share using the SQL Backup GUI.

You cannot use the SQL Backup GUI to schedule a restore job that restores the latest full backup set.

The COPYTO and LATEST_FULL options are all SQL Backup syntax elements, and will not work with native SQL Server backups.

Thanks.
    Peter Yeoh
    SQL Backup Consultant Developer
    Associate, Yohz Software
    Beyond compression - SQL Backup goodies under the hood, updated for version 8