New 6.5 Restore Problem, Large DB restores hang

DonFergusonDonFerguson Posts: 196 Silver 5
edited May 26, 2011 11:58AM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
Since upgrading from 6.4 to 6.5, I have experienced a new problem multiple times. It seems to be an issue more prevalent with large DB restores. This is primarily an issue when restoring a copy of a database. After the data files are done being created, the restore will just hang. Running sqbstatus 1 for many hours after the restore is run shows it still stuck at 0 bytes processed. If I then recycle the SQLBackAgent service thus aborting the restore and then run the same restore replacing the existing database previously in a restoring state, the restore will process. That is my work around, but this seems to be a new bug introduced with 6.5.

Comments

• peteypetey Posts: 2,358 New member
    What is the size of the data file(s) and transaction log file(s) for the restored databases?

Thanks.
    Peter Yeoh
    SQL Backup Consultant Developer
    Associate, Yohz Software
    Beyond compression - SQL Backup goodies under the hood, updated for version 8
  • DonFergusonDonFerguson Posts: 196 Silver 5
    I have observed this issue with data files as small as 7GB and others as large as 200GB.

I suspect some sort of VDI timeout is occurring with the larger files. Also note that the files I am restoring were created with 3 threads.
  • We've also experienced this problem with a relatively large (126Gb) database. Donman's solution allows the restore to complete, but so far we've been able to repeat the problem with every restore of this particular system.
    We've upgraded to the latest version, and there's plenty of disk space etc.
    Any ideas?
    Could you please create an entry in the registry on the SQL Server box, in

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Red Gate\SQL Backup\BackupSettingsGlobal\<InstanceName>

named VDICommandTimeout (DWORD type), and enter a value of FFFFFFFF (hex)?

Now try restoring the database and see if the error still occurs.

Thanks.
    Peter Yeoh
    Associate, Yohz Software
  • DonFergusonDonFerguson Posts: 196 Silver 5
    Adding the VDICommandTimout Registry Key and setting it to FFFFFFFF resolves the issue. Thanks petey!
  • We are just about to upgrade from 6.4 to 6.5.0.75. Do I need to add this reg key manually to make sure that this doesn't happen or do you have a fix?

Thanks

Chris
    English DBA living in CANADA
  • We're refreshing the dataset in our test environments this weekend, so I'll have a chance to test it then.
    I would suggest waiting for the next minor release, which addresses this issue, so that you do not need the registry workaround. It should be available soon.
    Peter Yeoh
    Associate, Yohz Software
  • Thanks for the update.

Will the new version be broadcast on the forum as an announcement or just in this post?

Chris
  • Hi Chris/All,

If you run check for updates now you should receive SQL Backup 6.5.1.9 which contains this fix.

There won't be an announcement on the forum as far as I'm aware.

Thanks,
    Matthew Flatt
    Redgate Foundry
  • I've downloaded it now.

Thanks

Chris