Options

Excluding objects from Source Contol, like Security

Is there anyway to /not/ source control database objects. We have changing security objects depending on environment progression. I.E. Independent developers have full control of their sandbox DB's, but somewhat more limited in our integration environment. Whereas our content creators can read/write data to our main development DB but can't to QA or Integration.

This obviously changes the security objects and permission sets. I'm having a real issue linking databases and branching DB code because the database linker wants to sync Security objects.

SImplest example I have for what I'm trying to do. I have an Integration database, I've linked that to perforce. In perforce, I've "branched" the checkins to my MAIN environment. I then link my MAIN DB to this perforce branch, it throws get latest exceptions because the security objects are slightly different (mainly how has what privileges). I cannot "sync" because the permissions are /supposed/ to change.

So is there an easy way to exclude them? The only other option I see is to "branch" to main and not take the security objects in the branch.

Comments

• Options
    David AtkinsonDavid Atkinson Posts: 1,439 Rose Gold 2
    Thanks for your question.

Currently SQL Source Control can't ignore permissions. However, this is something that we could introduce very soon along with our object filtering feature.

Have you used SQL Compare before? I'd like to check with you whether the "Ignore Users' permissions and role memberships" feature in this tool is exactly what you're looking for in SQL Source Control. This can be found in the Options tab when editing a project. If you could confirm that this is the behavior that you expect, we will considering pulling in this option soon.

Kind regards,

David Atkinson
    Product Manager
    Red Gate Software
    David Atkinson
    Product Manager
    Redgate Software
  • Options
    The option to ignore "Users' permissions and role memberships" like in SQL Compare would be nice to have for our organization. We use role-based permissions today, and SQL Source Control stores the development version of users and role memberships which aren't useful to have in version control. During deployment, this stuff is ignored with "/Options:default,IgnoreUsers /exclude:User".

Consider this post signed :)

Thanks,
    Adam
  • Options
    Hi Adam,

It's not possible to ignore permissions in SQL Source Control just yet.

For now, just commit the permissions to source control, and when you deploy with SQL Compare, make sure the Ignore Permissions option is selected.

Please let me know if for whatever reason this doesn't do the trick.

Kind regards,

David Atkinson
    Red Gate Software
    David Atkinson
    Product Manager
    Redgate Software