Unable to restore backup made on another server

billytbillyt Posts: 4
edited April 5, 2011 10:11AM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
Hi,

I am unable to restore a backup on one of my (SQL Server 2005) servers that was created on another server. Both servers appear to have the same version of SQL Server and the same version of SQL Backup. I have been doing this process on the same two servers for a couple years without issue, but now the second server does not recognize backups made on the first server. (NOTE: I am able to make a backup on server two and restore to server one)

I am using the restore wizard and when I select the backup file, the wizard indicates that the Date, Type, Fist LSN, etc are all unknown.

Both Servers have the same version of SQL Server:
Microsoft SQL Server 2005 - 9.00.4053.00 (Intel X86) May 26 2009 14:24:20 Copyright (c) 1988-2005 Microsoft Corporation Standard Edition on Windows NT 5.2 (Build 3790: Service Pack 2)

Both Servers have the same version of SQL Backup:

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Billy

Comments

• peteypetey Posts: 2,358 New member
    Could you please run the following against the 2 servers using SSMS and post the results? Thanks.
    DECLARE @version nvarchar(16)
    EXEC master..sqbutility 1030, @version OUTPUT
    SELECT @version

Peter Yeoh
    SQL Backup Consultant Developer
    Associate, Yohz Software
    Beyond compression - SQL Backup goodies under the hood, updated for version 8
  • The server I am making the backups on returns: 6.4.0.56

The server I am trying to restore on returns: 5.3.0.178

So what do I do to get the versions synched up?

Thanks for your quick reply,
    Billy
  • peteypetey Posts: 2,358 New member
    On the machine where you have 6.4.0.56 installed, in the SQL Backup installation folder, there should be a file named SQBServerSetup.exe. Copy that file to the machine running 5.3.0.178. Ensure that no SQL Backup backups/restores are running, and that no SQL Backup GUIs are connected to that instance. Stop the SQL Backup Agent service, and run the server setup file (SQBServerSetup.exe) to upgrade that installation of SQL Backup to 6.4.0.56.
    Peter Yeoh
    SQL Backup Consultant Developer
    Associate, Yohz Software
    Beyond compression - SQL Backup goodies under the hood, updated for version 8
  • Thanks Peter, that fixed it. Billy