Cannot Restore a Down Converted Backup to a SQL Server 2005

tcarlisletcarlisle Posts: 15
edited March 30, 2011 10:55AM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
Peter,
Me again, different issue. I need to restore a backup created on a SQL Server 2008 R2 64 bit instance (Production server) to a SQL Server 2005 32 bit instance (Failover server). The backup was created on the prod server using SQL Backup 6.4. The Failover server has SQL Backup 5.3 installed. I used the GUI conversion tool to "down convert" the file (.sqb) but when I try to restore the DB I receive the following errors:

"SQL error 3013: SQL error 3013: RESTORE FILELIST is terminating abnormally.
SQL error 3241: SQL error 3241: The media family on device 'SQLBACKUP_EC2B........E1' is incorrectly formed. SQL Server cannot process this media family.
SQL error 0: Failed to read filelist details (0 rows)

SQL backup exit code 1100

What may I be doing wrong or have missed?

Thanks,

Tim Carlisle

Comments

• peteypetey Posts: 2,358 New member
    It is not possible to downgrade a SQL Server database, in this case a SQL Server 2008 R2 database to a SQL Server 2005 database. This is a SQL Server condition.

You'll need to restore the sqb or bak file on to another SQL Server 2008 R2 instance, or export the data structures and data from the SQL 2008 R2 database to the SQL 2005 database.
    Peter Yeoh
    SQL Backup Consultant Developer
    Associate, Yohz Software
    Beyond compression - SQL Backup goodies under the hood, updated for version 8
  • So, if I were to purchase and install Redgate Backup 6.4 on the Failover SQL Server 2005 32 bit server, I would still be unable to restore the production DB backup (64 bit) to the failover 32 bit database, because of incompatibility between those SQl Server versions?

If so, so much for Microsoft's compatibility level selections on creating a database.

Tim Carlisle
  • peteypetey Posts: 2,358 New member
    Yes, that is true. Here's a link describing database versions and database compatibility levels.
    Peter Yeoh
    SQL Backup Consultant Developer
    Associate, Yohz Software
    Beyond compression - SQL Backup goodies under the hood, updated for version 8
  • Ok, I will have to do something different to get data updates going to the 2005 failover server. Thanks for supplying the msdn link to the compatibility - version information. Thanks for saving us $800 too!

Tim Carlisle