Cmd line much slower than XP

gunneykgunneyk Posts: 14
I have seen this before and for the most part just used the XP instead of the cmd line. If I run a backup both ways the XP finishes much faster than the cmdline which doesnt make sense to me since I was under the impression the xp just calls the cmd line anyway. The cmd line has a one minute + period of dead time in between each database to be backed up. In a test I backed up 4 small dbs. The XP took 20 seconds for all 4 combined. The cmd line took over 5 minutes. The actual backup times are the same. It is a noticable lag or dead time before each backup actually happens. Can anyone tell me why this happens?

Comments

• peteypetey Posts: 2,358 New member
    Could you please post the contents of the log for one of the backups using the command line interface that was noticeably slow?

The default folder where the logs are stored is C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Red Gate\SQL Backup\Log\<instance name> on Windows 2003 and older, and C:\ProgramData\Red Gate\SQL Backup\Log\<instance name> on Windows Vista and newer.

In version 3 and below, the XP did indeed use the command line interface to run its tasks. Since version 4, the XP calls the SQL Backup Agent service to perform backups/restores.

Thanks.
    Peter Yeoh
    SQL Backup Consultant Developer
    Associate, Yohz Software
    Beyond compression - SQL Backup goodies under the hood, updated for version 8
  • Sorry for the late reply. For some reason I didnt get notifed when you replied. I will have to go back and redo these since I resorted to using the xp and gave up on the command line.