The semaphore timeout period has expired. Version 6.4

morne3107morne3107 Posts: 6
edited February 18, 2011 6:21AM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
We are using Red Gate V 6.4. We keep on getting the warning/error message on one of our production servers of "The semaphore timeout period has expired". What is weird about this, it is only on the larger DB's and none of the smaller ones. Usually when we reboot the server, the backup will run fine but only for 1 - 2 days, then the same message starts again.

I have read all the posts on settings for the Max Data Black size, and have tried different variations of this, but to no avail. The DB size is approx. 150GB and the other DB approx. 70GB's, these are the ones I get the error messages on.

Please could you advise on possible troubleshooting options to eliminate the obvious and get to a fit solution.

Morne

Morne

Comments

• peteypetey Posts: 2,358 New member
    Could you please post the contents of the log for any one of the backups that failed? The default folder where the logs are stored is C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Red Gate\SQL Backup\Log\<instance name> on Windows 2003 and older, and C:\ProgramData\Red Gate\SQL Backup\Log\<instance name> on Windows Vista and newer.

Thanks.
    Peter Yeoh
    SQL Backup Consultant Developer
    Associate, Yohz Software
    Beyond compression - SQL Backup goodies under the hood, updated for version 8
  • Hi there

I sent thrrough the log fiels on Tuesday already. We are still having the same issues on the backup even after a server reboot.

Please could you revert back soonest.
    Regards
  • peteypetey Posts: 2,358 New member
    Do you have the support ticket number to which you've sent the log files to?

Thanks.
    Peter Yeoh
    SQL Backup Consultant Developer
    Associate, Yohz Software
    Beyond compression - SQL Backup goodies under the hood, updated for version 8