Options

Overlay production backup to development environment

AndreQ1AndreQ1 Posts: 8
edited November 16, 2010 7:06PM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
When attempting to do a restore from backup through the dialog boxes, its not allowing me to restore it to a different server? What are the steps / choices to maike to allow me to do this?

Thanks

BTW, I'm on SQL Backup 5

Comments

• Options
    This post should have been made in the SQL Backup 5 forum.

When you run the Restore Wizard, at the top of Step one you can select 'Browse for backup files to restore' in the top menu. Now you are presented with a new set of options. You can select any SQL Server Instance with the server components installed. Then you can select any backup file(s) by selecting the 'Add Files' button and browsing. Then when you select next to navigate to Step 2 you can select any database, or create a new database, to apply the backup file(s) to.
  • Options
    peteypetey Posts: 2,358 New member
    If I understand you right, you want to restore a backup file to a different server instance from the one you are currently connected to. This is not possible. You need to connect to the server instance you want to restore the backup file to, and select the file from then on, as per the steps mentioned by chrisk5 above.
    Peter Yeoh
    SQL Backup Consultant Developer
    Associate, Yohz Software
    Beyond compression - SQL Backup goodies under the hood, updated for version 8