Installing on 2 cluster nodes

kingrudedogkingrudedog Posts: 9
edited October 1, 2010 11:21PM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
I am a little confused as to the steps for installing redgate sql backup on a cluster.

All the instructions just point to installing server componenents. But this isn't the sql backup executable, correct? This is installed as part (or seperately if desired) from the initial kickoff, isn't it?

Does anyone have a step doc for a fresh install?

Sorry, I am a bit new to sql backup...

Appreciate any help a great deal.

Comments

• peteypetey Posts: 2,358 New member
    Peter Yeoh
    SQL Backup Consultant Developer
    Associate, Yohz Software
    Beyond compression - SQL Backup goodies under the hood, updated for version 8
  • I have always done the manual (using SQBServerSetup.exe) install on each of my cluster nodes. Feels safer that way without permission issues

This is for both 2005 SP3 and 2008 R2 clusters
    Jerry Hung
    DBA, MCITP
  • Shouldn't you only have to do the cluster component install on the active node and it will auto install on the passive node?

Or do I need to run this on each?
    Installing the server components on the 'local' node is the easy part. The complicated part is installing the server components on the 'remote' node. This entails copying the SQL Backup server components setup file (SQBServerSetup.exe) to a folder on the remote node, running the setup silently there, and checking the setup status after that.

On systems where security is tight, one or both of the first 2 steps usually fail. If you think about it, it's rather scary that an application (the installer) was able to copy an executable file to a remote machine AND run it on that machine. With regards to checking the setup status, the installer can sometimes report false negatives, again due to security restrictions.

Yes, the installer does have an option to auto install on the passive node. If it works, great (or its time to review your security setup). If it doesn't, you'll have to do it manually, which provides some users (like jerry) a higher level of confidence that everything's been set up correctly.
    Peter Yeoh
    Associate, Yohz Software
  • So if the initial installation fails to transport over to the secondary node

- I should rerstart the server components installation and only choose the node I'm on. Then log into the passive node and do the same (first putting the software on the passive node)?

The doesn't require a failover does it? I'm doing this on a production server, and currently don't have that option.
    So if the initial installation fails to transport over to the secondary node
    Yes.
    - I should rerstart the server components installation and only choose the node I'm on. Then log into the passive node and do the same (first putting the software on the passive node)?
    Yes.
    The doesn't require a failover does it? I'm doing this on a production server, and currently don't have that option.
    No,a failover is not required. Things to remember:

- ensure that the same located is specified for the data store location, as per section 6 in this document)

- SQL Backup is activated on both nodes, as per the 'Activating on clusters and multiple SQL Servers' in the above document.

- ensure that any scheduled backups are made to valid locations from both nodes e.g. if node 1 backs up to a network share mapped as H:\, node 2 needs to have the same mapping to that network share.
    Peter Yeoh
    Associate, Yohz Software