Options

Profiling stopped

sergey68sergey68 Posts: 7
I am trying to profile Silverlight 4 application. I was able to do it yesterday after downloading the trial. Today I am unable to do so. I am getting a message "profiling stopped"

Thank you.

Sergey
Sergey Barskiy, Software Developer

Comments

• Options
    If the iexplore process that ANTS starts gets shut down immediately for any reason then you'll see this behaviour. There are a few things that can cause this:

Something I've seen is that sometimes IE starts running in the background, and passes any requests to its background instance. ANTS can't attach to this (in fact, it looks like the IE just shut down immediately), so you see this behaviour. The fix is to use task manager to ensure that no instances of iexplore are running before starting profiling.

If IE goes into protected mode it restarts itself and disables the profiler. ANTS runs IE as an administrator on Vista to disable this behaviour, but you can also disable it explicitly in IE's preferences. You can see if this is happening by looking at the status bar.

If the target web page closes the IE window/tab using javascript it can shut down the profiler as a result - the profiler can only target processes that it controls. Temporarily disabling this behaviour or using a different target page will prevent this (with IIS profiling you can use a different browser window, but with Silverlight profiling the profiler needs to attach to a specific instance of the browser in order to do its job)

One other thing that might be worth trying is that if your application supports out-of-browser mode you can ask the profiler to specifically target the XAP file instead of a web page.
    Andrew Hunter
    Software Developer
    Red Gate Software Ltd.