SQL Backup 6.4 won't install on SQL2008R2 on Windows2008R2

cousinspcousinsp Posts: 29
edited December 1, 2010 12:48AM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
I'm attempting to install SQL Backup Pro 6.4 on our new server. It is SQL2008R2 enterprise edition running on Windows 2008R2 Enterprise running on VMWare vSphere 4.0. I've never managed to install SQL Backup from the Backup GUI - probably due to our restrictive permissions, so I'm running SQBServerSetup.exe directly on the server. I have a domain account that I'm hoping to use to run the backup service, and have granted this account SQLSysAdmin permissions on the database server. However, when I click next on the 'Select SQL Server Authentication Mode', having chosen 'Windows Authentication' with this account, I get the following error. 'Failed to verify that the account (rias\svcSQLBackupDev) is a member of the SQL Server sysadmin fixed server role for the selected instance. SQL Error: OLE DB error occured. Code 80070005h
This installation may not be able to install the SQL Backup extended stored procedures. Use another login.'

Using my personal domain account works, but I don't want to use that.

Any ideas? I've tried making the domain account an Administrator on the Windows server but that didn't help. Don't really want to do that anyway.
Pete Cousins

Comments

• peteypetey Posts: 2,358 New member
    The error code (80070005h = access is denied) suggests that the installer failed to impersonate the domain account to verify if it had enough SQL Server permissions. Are you running the installer using an Administrator account?

If not, try that. If that doesn't work, try this:
    - set up SQL Backup using your personal account
    - once the setup has completed, stop the SQL Backup Agent service
    - change the Log On account to your SQLSysAdmin account
    - start the SQL Backup Agent service

Run a couple of backups and restores and see if that works.

Thanks.
    Peter Yeoh
    SQL Backup Consultant Developer
    Associate, Yohz Software
    Beyond compression - SQL Backup goodies under the hood, updated for version 8
  • This was a great suggestion. I've got the server software installed with my account, and run a backup successfully. I then changed the service properties to use the domain account created for SQL Backups and received the following error message:
    SQL Backup v6.4.0.56
    OLE DB error occured. Code 80070005h
    Server : DEV-SQL-DB02
    Windows authentication
    Failed to connect to SQL Server instance: DEV-SQL-DB02

SQL Backup exit code: 586

(6 row(s) affected)

name value
    exitcode 586
    sqlerrorcode 0
    filename001 C:\MSSQL10_50.MSSQLSERVER\MSSQL\Backup\<AUTO>.sqb

(3 row(s) affected)
    Adding the account to the administrators group and restarting the service solves the problem, but I'd rather not do that if possible. I've tried disabling the Windows 2008R2 firewall, but that doesn't help. I've granted modify access on the backup folder, the folder the redgate compact database is in, the redgate log folder, the redgate registry keys. Still the same error. I've even tried running sysinternal's processmonitor but can't see anything that would cause the problem. I'm going to make the backup account administrator for now.
    Pete Cousins
    The error message suggests that your domain account was unable to log on to your SQL Server instance.

Could you please try logging in to the instance using the said account via Management Studio? Does it work?

Thanks.
    Peter Yeoh
    Associate, Yohz Software
  • Yes - I should have mentioned that. If I do 'run as..' for SSMS with the backup account it can connect to SQL no problem - it has sysadmin rights.
    Pete Cousins
    What server and local client network protocols are enabled for that instance?

Thanks.
    Peter Yeoh
    Associate, Yohz Software
  • Many thanks for your help. It's got shared memory and tcp/ip enabled.
    Pete Cousins
    Is shared memory also enabled as one of the Client Protocols in the SQL Native Client Configuration options on the server?
    Peter Yeoh
    Associate, Yohz Software
  • Yep.
    I've just had the same problem with the test server I've built. Had to add the account into the Administrators group. Not a complete disaster, but less than ideal.
    Pete Cousins
  • Interesting

I just did a SQL 2008 R2 on a Windows 2008 R2 install last week also, CLUSTER

Ran the Setup.exe locally for both clusters

Had to add the DOMAIN\account into [sysadmin] because I forgot, but that's the only issue I had, everything went smoothly, no settings changed
    Jerry Hung
    DBA, MCITP
    cousinsp wrote:
    Yep.
    I've just had the same problem with the test server I've built. Had to add the account into the Administrators group. Not a complete disaster, but less than ideal.

This certainly looks like an authentication error. SQL Backup reports that it was denied access to log on to the SQL Server instance, and adding the SQL Backup Agent service startup account to the Administrators group resolved that issue. So for some reason, the SQL Backup Agent service startup account does not have direct rights to log on to the SQL instance.
    Peter Yeoh
    Associate, Yohz Software
  • Just installed on live server and same problem...the account definately has access to SQL. I suspect it doesn't have access to some folder or registry key. Goodness knows which one.
    Pete Cousins
  • Had same problem on install would not work with domain account. Changed to builtin to install server components and then went into services and changed to domain account. SQL Backup Agent service started but backups would not run. SQL Agent error was SQL Backup failed with exit code: 586.

Knowledebase article said to check ServiceLogin registry key to make sure it was blank and it was.

Solution was to create Alias in SQL Configuration Manager under SQL Native Client 32-bit for my named instance. I already had an alias created under SQL Native Client.
    The alias that you had to create, what was the alias and the server name values?

Thanks.
    Peter Yeoh
    Associate, Yohz Software