Issue with ASP.Net application using IIS 7.0

Hi,

I am trying to use ANTS Performance Profiler 6, for my asp.net application which is deployed over IIS 7.0.

As soon as I start the Profiler, the status bar shows the following messages:

Initializing -> Stopping W3WP services -> Profiling Complete

A browser window with the application URL opens up during profiler initialization, but since W3WP service does not start successfully, a HTTP 404 error is displayed to the user.

Would really appreciate any inputs on this.

Comments

• Hmm, that's odd. The profiler actually won't show the browser window until it sees that it can connect to the port that you've told it to use, so it's accepting at least one connection.

One possibility is that you're seeing an issue with IE that I've occasionally seen. Sometimes (in circumstances that are unclear to me), IE will let you close all of its windows but will continue to run in the background. This also changes its behaviour when opening new windows: they get immediately closed and then redisplayed by the version in the background. To the profiler, this looks like you've deliberately closed the session and it then stops profiling. The solution is to use task manager to kill all instances of iexplore before profiling the application.

Apart from that, I'm not sure what could cause this particular behaviour. Is there any indication in the event log as to why the instance of w3wp that the profiler started stopped working? Does picking a different port to profile on make any difference?
    Andrew Hunter
    Software Developer
    Red Gate Software Ltd.
  • In addition, I've just sent you an email, please let me know if you get it.
  • I"m also experiencing this issue. Switching to a different port does not change the behavior...OS is Server 2008r2 running IIS 7, and using a deployed wcf application. It seems like the profiling stops while IE is still loading up, by the time the browser is visible, the profiling session is complete and IE returns a "cannot display this webpage" message.
  • I just started experiencing the same issue today. The only thing that changed was I changed the serial number.
  • If I turn off UAC it works fine. I can send a log if you would like.
  • Is anyone going to respond from RedGate?
  • Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Hi,

Sorry, we do not typically respond to posts appended to issues that have already been dealt with. At any rate, this issue doesn't have one cause and AFAIK usually indicates that the presence of the profilercore.dll crashed the web application, and there are as many reasons for this as there are stars in the sky.

If you could please send any details you have via email to support @ red-gate.com, we should be able to go down the path of debugging the web application.