64-bit Support?

chrisflintchrisflint Posts: 11
edited October 31, 2005 10:41AM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
Does SQL Backup support 64-bit platforms (i.e. Win 2003 ia64)? If not, how about with the IA-32 Execution Layer add-in?

I just ordered 10 licenses w/support and the only thing listed on the website is:

http://www.red-gate.com/sql/technical_requirements.htm

Thx!

Comments

• During my eval period, I did ask the Red Gate sales rep if SQL Backup could run on a 64-bit box. The response was that they had just bought a 64-bit box and that effort was underway to port the software to that platform. That was May 2005.

Now, we have a site license for SQL Backup and would like to install it on one of our new servers running Xeon processors with the x64 extension.
    Will SQL Backup run on this type of processor?
  • peteypetey Posts: 2,358 New member
    It will run if used with the 32-bit version of SQL Server.
    Peter Yeoh
    SQL Backup Consultant Developer
    Associate, Yohz Software
    Beyond compression - SQL Backup goodies under the hood, updated for version 8
  • We have Win Server 2003 x64 running both SQL 2005 Beta 2 and SQL 2000 SP4.

The SQL Backup GUI does not work on the 64bit platform, and the extended stored procedures to not work as well either... they do not register correctly.

However, the command line interfaces are supposed to work.
    I'll be testing everything over the next week or two and will let you all know what I find.
  • I haven't been able to get the stored procedures to run. I also tried running regsvr32 against the dll, but didn't work. I always get the same error in Query Analyzer:
    ODBC: Msg 0, Level 16, State 1
    Cannot load the DLL xp_sqlbackup.dll, or one of the DLLs it references. Reason: 193(error not found).

I went in to the master, extended stored procedure, and tried setting the path to the DLL as well but it just appends the path then I get the error:
    ODBC: Msg 0, Level 16, State 1
    Cannot load the DLL C:\Program Files (x86)\Red Gate\SQL Backup\xp_sqlbackup.dll, or one of the DLLs it references. Reason: 193(error not found).

I was able to get the command-line to work correctly. 8) Will work until the rest is fixed.
  • I've successfully installed SQL Backup yesterday on one of our servers running Windows Server 2003 Enterprise x64 Edition. The version of SQL Server is SQL Server 2000 SP4. Product Version 8.00.2040. I tested the GUI by backing up and restoring the pubs and Northwind databases. I deleted all rows Northwind's Order Details table and pub's Sales table to verify the restore. I've also successfully installed the extended stored procedure on this server and used it. The GUI at one point refused to restore the pubs database so I resorted to the extended stored procedure.

My concern at this point is I have not been able to register the product using our serial number. It throws the following error up in a modal dialog box:

Activation error: Access violation at address 02180F7F. Write of address 02180F7F

I click OK and get another error:

Access violation at address 02180F6E. Write of address 02180F6E.

I click OK and then cancel out of the registration process.

When I quit SQL Backup, the following modal dialog is presented:

Leaking Objects
    TIdSoapGlueList 1
    TIdSoapInterfaceGlue 1

OK

Please advise.
  • Hi

We have started to test SQB on some 64 bit platforms now.

On Windows 2003 x64 sp1, running SQL 2000 sp4 32-bit we have experienced no problems. The application installed and ran fine.

We have also installed Windows 2003 sp1 on an Itanium server with SQL 2000 sp4 64-bit, but as yet have not performed any tests.

Because of the information in this thread we will retest the x64 setup and report back.

Regards
    Dan
    Daniel Handley
    Red Gate Software Ltd
  • I just wanted to report that I was able to successfully activate SQL Backup on our server running Windows Server 2003 Enterprise x64 Edition by using the e-mail activation method.

As I wrote previously, I was unable to activate the product using the Internet activation method. I did verify the server can connect to the Internet.
  • Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Hello,

Yes, but the Internet activation can fail still when running through some proxies that require authentication. The licensing implementation in SQL Backup was a port of our licensing for every other piece of software that we write. The original code was written for .NET, so it is better at trapping and handling errors. This is why I think that you get a GPF in SQL Backup where you would get a more intuitive error message from SQL Compare or ANTS Profiler.
  • Any updates on support for ia64 platforms? My x64 stuff works fine, but it is the Enterprise level Itanium servers where I need the product the most.
  • Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    You may have problems with the activation on 32 or 64-bit machines if DEP (Data Execution Prevention) is turned on. To turn this off, go to your server's control panel, click Advanced, then settings and turn off DEP (turn on dep for essential Windows programs and services only).