6.4 Upgrade Registry Surprise

DonFergusonDonFerguson Posts: 196 Silver 5
edited March 19, 2010 4:31AM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
It appears that with version 6.4 the registry location for 64 Bit machines was moved from "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Red Gate\SQL Backup" to "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Red Gate\SQL Backup". While most of the keys were automatically copied to the new location running the SQBServerSetup.exe in silent mode, the datapath key was not. It instead defaulted to the C: path instead of the shared drive path that I use on the PolyServe clusters.

After burning a few hours, I was able to resolve this, so this post it to just confirm the issue, and make you aware that the datapath gets reset on installation. That in turn messed up log shipping.

Comments

• RBARBA Posts: 152 Silver 3
    Hi DonMan,

The installer works with the Microsoft clustering service to determine the shared drive assigned to the chosen SQL instance. Since you're using a different clustering provider (I'm not familiar with PolyServe) I expect the installer chose the default path and overwrote any existing datapath value. However, if the key already exists its value could be respected.

I've raised your scenario as a bug, with the intent that future versions of the installer will not initialise the datapath if an existing value can be found.

I'm sorry to hear that you had this problem with the upgrade. Thanks for reporting this.

Regards,
    Robin Anderson
    Development
    Red-Gate Software
  • DonFergusonDonFerguson Posts: 196 Silver 5
    No problem Robin. Thanks for logging a bug. Also would you confirm that the 64 bit Wow6432Node registry path was indeed relocated with release 6.4? If true, then the online help as well as KB articles should be updated to reflect this change.
  • RBARBA Posts: 152 Silver 3
    Yes, the move to the main branch of the registry was intentional. This was to address an issue with registry key replication on Windows Server 2003 x64 based clusters. The documentation will shortly be updated.

Cheers,
    Robin Anderson
    Development
    Red-Gate Software