SQL Backup 3.2 on cluster

rdameronrdameron Posts: 13
edited June 29, 2005 12:45AM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
I've installed SQL Backup 3.2 on to each physical node of a three node MSCS cluster. Each node is running a named instance of SQL Server 2000. The operating system is Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Edition. I have installed the extended stored procedure on each node.

The following error message appears upon startup of SQL Backup on any of our cluster nodes. Also, it appears after installing the extended stored procedure.
SQL Backup
[DBNETLIB][ConnectionOpen (Connect()).]SQL Server does not exist or access denied.
OK

I can click through it and use the product. Any possibility of a patch for this issue?

I believe it is attempting to connect to one of the named instances that is located on another node. I can see all the named instances for the cluster in the left pane. Ideally, I think I should only see the named instance that resides on that node.

Comments

• peteypetey Posts: 2,358 New member
    In a clustered environment, doesn't all the nodes in a cluster usually point to the same SQL Server instance?
    Peter Yeoh
    SQL Backup Consultant Developer
    Associate, Yohz Software
    Beyond compression - SQL Backup goodies under the hood, updated for version 8
  • I just starting work at this firm and I'm new to clustering so bear with me.

We have three physical machines (nodes) in the cluster.

There are three named instances in the cluster. Usually, each instance is running on its own node.

If one node has an issue, it fails over to one of the other nodes.
    Pls see private message. Thx.
    Peter Yeoh
    Associate, Yohz Software
  • Its unfortunate that the resolution for this problem was transmitted through a private message and not posted on the message board-- completley throwing the purpose of a message board out the window.

I am having the same problem and the solution eludes me.
    I apologize for not posting a follow-up. The private message was not a resolution but a request for more (possibly) sensitive information from the user to troubleshoot the error.

The conclusion is that this is an annoyance in the GUI when running on clusters. SQL Backup tries to connect to every instance of SQL Server that it finds on a machine, and when it fails to connect, an error is raised.

On a regular server, most instances are running so this is not a problem. On a cluster however, there are probably some failover instances on each node, so they are inactive most of the time.

The 'fix' for this in a future version is to not raise these errors so aggresively if running on a cluster.
    Peter Yeoh
    Associate, Yohz Software