Options

How Can I compare & Copy selected object from one DB to othe

qasimpakqasimpak Posts: 3
edited December 24, 2009 6:26AM in SQL Compare Previous Versions
How can I compare only selected objects and copy them to other database. Because my database has hundereds of tables SPs and other objects which makes it impossible to user SQL Compare and SQL Data Compare to be used.

Comments

• Options
    If you are running SQL Compare 8, have you tried using a filter rule and only selecting the object types you are interested in? Once you have filtered by object type, you can deselect individual objects within the comparison. Let me know if this is what you need.
  • Options
    Dear Linda,

Thanks for you reply. I know we can filter the objects but my question was that SQL Compare compares each and every object automatically after taking the Source & Destination Databases Connections. For example if I've 1000 tables and hunderads of other objects in my database it will take alot of time to compare these objects and I've to wait for these objects to be compared after this comparison I'll be able to filter. This comparison time is very big with Large and remote databases. And in my case our database is in Singapor and I'm connecting to that database from Kuwait, In this case you can imagine how much time SQL Compare will take to compare all objects in the database.
    I've just seen one software that provides option to the user if he want to compare all objects in the database or the selected ones only.

Thanks & Regards,
    Muhammed Qasim.
  • Options
    The trouble with only comparing a subset of the objects is that we can't detect and bring in any dependencies you may have with unselected objects, making the resulting synch scripts unreliable. So it's a trade off between speed and reliability so we chose reliability.

Did you know that it is possible to take a schema snapshot with SQL Compare (or the free SQL Snapper) and copy this from your remote sites and compare them locally? This should speed up the process considerably. Please let me know if this works for you.

Kind regards,

David Atkinson
    Product Manager
    Red Gate Software
    David Atkinson
    Product Manager
    Redgate Software