Options

Best practice for Obfuscating a common .dll

doobopdoobop Posts: 9
edited July 9, 2014 7:15PM in SmartAssembly
My deployment has 2 executables and a group of common .dlls which the 2 executables use. I currently have one project for the primary .dll and one project for each .exe (3 projects total). The .dll one is set to obfuscate the .dll and embed the other shared .dll's (merging will break things). The two .exe's will just obfuscate the .exe (no embedding). But, when generating references for the .exe's, it references the unobfuscated .dll. When I try to run either .exe, something isn't resolving.

So, what is the best way to configure this to use the common obfuscated .dll? Do I need to modify the .saproj file to set the path of the .dll? Better options?

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    Jessica RJessica R Posts: 1,319 Rose Gold 4
    Hi there,

Thanks for you post!

You can direct SmartAssembly to use the obfuscated version of the .dll by adding MandatoryPath attributes to your exes' saproj files - http://documentation.red-gate.com/displ ... pendencies

However, if the exes are still referencing the unobfuscated version of the .dll, I'm not sure why that would cause assembly-resolving issues at runtime, since they will still use the obfuscated versions (assuming they're sitting alongside the exes) which *should* work alright..

Just to confirm--are the EXEs having trouble resolving the main .dll or one of its embedded ones?

Jessica Ramos | Product Support Engineer | Redgate Software

Have you visited our Help Center?