Options

Feature Request

RobAlexanderRobAlexander Posts: 7 Bronze 2
edited January 14, 2014 5:41AM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
I would like to be able to set a database size threshold that governs whether or not to split a database backup into multiple files. I manage a few hundred databases that range in size from a couple of MB to a couple of TB. Rather than to have to create and manage multiple backup jobs just to handle specific databases (and have to make changes as the databases grow), I would like to be able to set up a rule that determines whether or not to generate multiple backup files based on the size of the database. Furthermore, I would like to set it up so that the number of backup files that are created is determined by the size of the database.

I realize that I could probably write a powershell wrapper around the Red Gate command line to do this. But, hey, I'm a lazy DBA and I'm paying you for support, so I figure I'd ask you guys to do it for me.

Regards,
Rob

Comments

• Options
    Hi Rob,

Thanks for your post.

This is a good idea and it seems to be the first time anyone has suggested it to us. I've logged the feature request internally as SB-5557 to be reviewed by our development team.

I wouldn't expect a feature like this to be added any time soon, but it can at least be up for consideration now.

Your idea of writing a powershell wrapper sounds like a good workaround for the time being.

If you have any success, it would be great if you could post your script so other users with the same issues can make use of it. Seeing your script would also help us understand your requirements better, if the feature is ever implemented.

Regards,
    Chris