Options

Retry Connection after Monitoring Stopped

ScottHerbertScottHerbert Posts: 17
edited September 3, 2015 2:56PM in SQL Monitor Previous Versions
Hi,

Is there a way to configure an amount of time after which SQL Monitor will attempt to reconnect to a server which has become unreachable?

We are monitoring a SQL2008R2 Failover Cluster which sits on clustered Server 2008R2 servers.

When a physical (i.e. Windows Server) failover occurs, we get "Machine Unreachable" and monitoring stops. I'd like to see SQL Monitor retry the connection say 10 minutes later, rather than waiting for me to notice and re-enable the next day.

Comments

• Options
    Hi Scott,

SQL Monitor keeps trying to connect after every monitoring error including 'Unreachable', 'Connection failed' except when it is 'Monitoring stopped (Incorrect credentials or insufficent permission)'. The reason SQL Monitor doesn't try to connect after 'Monitoring stopped (Incorrect credentials or insufficent permission)' is that we dont want to fill security log with failed login. If you have a intrusion detection system in your environment then it may get triggered because of that.

But having said this, we do have a workaround for that i.e. SQL Monitor will keep trying to connect even after 'Monitoring stopped (Incorrect credentials or insufficent permission)'. Though we do not recommend this but I will send you detail in email. You can then decide whether you would like to make this change for your environment or not. If you do not receive my email in next 1/2 hour then please let us know.

Thanks,
    Priya
    Priya Sinha
    Project Manager
    Red Gate Software
  • Options
    Thanks Priya, that makes sense as to why it's been implemented like that.
  • Options
    Hi Scott,

I have the same case as priyasinha. It would be best if it would automatically reconnect because we are using email alert. how can it raise an email alert if monitoring stopped?

Can you send to me the workaround for this too?

Thanks.
  • Options
    niehrx wrote:
    Hi Scott,

I have the same case as priyasinha. It would be best if it would automatically reconnect because we are using email alert. how can it raise an email alert if monitoring stopped?

Can you send to me the workaround for this too?

Thanks.

Hi,

I have emailed you just now.

Thanks,
    Priya
    Priya Sinha
    Project Manager
    Red Gate Software
  • Options
    ChrishChrish Posts: 10 Bronze 1
    Hi Priya,

We are also experiencing similar problems to Scott. Intermittently the remote server login credentials will fail and return 'Monitoring stopped (Incorrect credentials or insufficent permission)', when we try and reconnect seconds later it is fine so I think your workaround will work for our scenario.

Please could you e-mail me the workaround as well?

Many thanks,

Chris.
  • Options
    Hi Chris

I've emailed you some instructions.

Regards
    Chris
    Chris Spencer
    Test Engineer
    Red Gate
  • Options
    ChrishChrish Posts: 10 Bronze 1
    Hi Chris

I've emailed you some instructions.

Regards
    Chris

Hi Chris,

Received the e-mail.

Many thanks for your help.

Cheers,

Chris.
  • Options
    Hi Priya,
    We are having the same issue.
    Could you also send me the work around?

Thanks,
    Irina
  • Options
    Irina wrote:
    Hi Priya,
    We are having the same issue.
    Could you also send me the work around?

Thanks,
    Irina

Email has been sent.

Regards
    Chris
    Chris Spencer
    Test Engineer
    Red Gate
  • Options
    Hi All,
    I am having these exact same issues. I thought it was a DNS problem at first and modifying the hosts file for all monitored servers worked for a little bit but it seems to be doing it again.

Could I be sent the instructions as well?

Thank you,
    Bruce
  • Options
    SQLWhat wrote:
    Hi All,
    I am having these exact same issues. I thought it was a DNS problem at first and modifying the hosts file for all monitored servers worked for a little bit but it seems to be doing it again.

Could I be sent the instructions as well?

Thank you,
    Bruce

Email sent

Regards
    Chris
    Chris Spencer
    Test Engineer
    Red Gate
  • Options
    I wonder if I'm having the same problem: Every time I reboot the SQL Server (for maintenance) The monitor stops, and never restarts. It certainly isn't invalid credentials since it's just a reboot, so I'm really doubting it's still trying 10 minutes later.

I would like these instructions as well, if you think this is my issue.

Thanks,
    Dan
  • Options
    Can I get the instructions as well ? I am having the same issues .

Thank you

donald.dixon@ttx.com
  • Options
    I wonder if I'm having the same problem: Every time I reboot the SQL Server (for maintenance) The monitor stops, and never restarts. It certainly isn't invalid credentials since it's just a reboot, so I'm really doubting it's still trying 10 minutes later.

I would like these instructions as well, if you think this is my issue.

Thanks,
    Dan

Email sent. Apologies for the delay.

Regards
    Chris
    Chris Spencer
    Test Engineer
    Red Gate
  • Options
    devdtd wrote:
    Can I get the instructions as well ? I am having the same issues .

Thank you

donald.dixon@ttx.com

Email sent

Regards
    Chris
    Chris Spencer
    Test Engineer
    Red Gate
  • Options
    Hello, I am having a similar issue regarding monitoring stopped on some servers and not resumed by its own. Can you please assist? Also, is that fixed in v3?
  • Options
    chefi_d wrote:
    Hello, I am having a similar issue regarding monitoring stopped on some servers and not resumed by its own. Can you please assist? Also, is that fixed in v3?

Email sent

Note that this hasn't been fixed in 3.0. We don't retry connection by default in order to avoid lockout issues caused by repeated use of invalid credentials. This workaround only applies to credential/permission related connection issues.

Regards
    Chris
    Chris Spencer
    Test Engineer
    Red Gate
  • Options
    pcassarpcassar Posts: 5 Bronze 1
    Can I have the fix emailed or PMed to me also please?

Thanks
  • Options
    pcassar wrote:
    Can I have the fix emailed or PMed to me also please?

Thanks
    As this is becoming a popular request we created a support page which can be found using the following link:
    http://www.red-gate.com/supportcenter/C ... 469857.htm

Regards
    Chris
    Chris Spencer
    Test Engineer
    Red Gate
  • Options
    Thank you!
  • Options
    I ran across this and would like the same work around. The link no longer works
  • Options
    I need the solution too, please.
    Connection fails almost every weekend.