Options

Change all varchars to nvarchar

Paul75ukPaul75uk Posts: 2
Hi

We want to make a bulk change to all tables - to change all instances of varchar to nvarchar.

Back in the day before SQL Source Control we would have done a find and replace throughout our SQL scripts to do this. We are working in a dev environment where we are yet to go live with the database, so upgrading users isn't an issue.

My question is, is it ok to go to the Tables directory (that is maintained by RedGate SQL Source Control) and do a find a replace here and then commit the changes? Or do I have to make this sort of change in Sql Server Managenment Studio? Or are there any other ideas how to make a change like this.

Thanks,

Paul

Comments

• Options
    I wouldn't recommend changing SQL Source Control's own working folder as this isn't a supported scenario.

However, what you can do is to create a new working folder and check out your scripts folder to this, make any changes to the files, and check them in. Provided you're using the 'dedicated' model, you'll be able to return to SQL Source Control and run 'get latest' on these to update your development environments.

David Atkinson
    Product Manager
    Red Gate Software
    David Atkinson
    Product Manager
    Redgate Software