Options

Build issues with Jenkin Msbuild and SmartAssembly

noodles.21noodles.21 Posts: 3
edited October 21, 2011 4:24AM in SmartAssembly
Hello. Newb here, not sure if i'm making a glaring error but i've tried my best to search the forum and the internets.
At the moment Im using the UsingTask method to invoke Smart Assembly in the blah.csproj file, like so
  <UsingTask TaskName="SmartAssembly.MSBuild.Tasks.Build" AssemblyName="SmartAssembly.MSBuild.Tasks, ...
<SmartAssembly.MSBuild.Tasks.Build 
    ProjectFile="C:\Users\build\Jenkins\blah\blah.{sa}proj" OverwriteAssembly="false"/>
When I use msbuild to build this proj file, everything works fine with the following output:
SmartAssembly v6.0.0.513
  Copyright © Red Gate Software 2005-2011
  Loading project C:\Users\build\Jenkins\blah\blah.{sa}proj
  OK
which is as expected. However when I use jenkins to run msbuild on the exact same proj it fails with the following error
AfterCompile:
  SmartAssembly v6.0.0.513
  Copyright ¸ Red Gate Software 2005-2011
  Loading project C:\Users\build\Jenkins\blah\blah.{sa}proj
c:\Users\build\Jenkins\blah\blah.csproj(630,8): error : SmartAssembly build failed:
c:\Users\build\Jenkins\blah\blah.csproj(630,8): error : Some options are not set or are not valid.
c:\Users\build\Jenkins\blah\blah.csproj(630,8): error : Please review all the settings and try again.
c:\Users\build\Jenkins\blah\blah.csproj(630,8): error : 
c:\Users\build\Jenkins\blah\blah.csproj(630,8): error : We recommend that you run SmartAssembly in user-interface mode, which provides more information.
Done Building Project "c:\Users\build\Jenkins\blah\blah.csproj" (Build target(s)) -- FAILED.
I'd like some hints as to how to determine which options are not set, so i can set them with Jenkins, or does this point to something fundamentally broken with Jenkins implementation of msbuild. Additionally, someone before me tried it with cruisecontrol and ended up with the same issue. As such, i didnt think it was a Jenkin's issue, but more of a smartassembly issue.
If any pointers can be given to honing down the problem, it would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Given the file extension, I'd say that your SA project was created by an older version of SmartAssembly, when the file extension was .{sa}proj. I know absolutely nothing about Jenkins and we're definitely not going to support that, but maybe it doesn't like the file extension. Try changing it to .saproj.

Hope this helps!
  • Options
    Brian: thanks for the pointer, i tried to rename the file extension, but that wasn't the issue.

I understand that you are not here to support jenkins but i guess i was hoping for some pointers as to why SmartAssembly 6 would produce this error prompt
    c:\Users\build\Jenkins\blah\blah.csproj(630,8): error : SmartAssembly build failed: 
    c:\Users\build\Jenkins\blah\blah.csproj(630,8): error : Some options are not set or are not valid. 
    c:\Users\build\Jenkins\blah\blah.csproj(630,8): error : Please review all the settings and try again.

and is there anyway way to find out which options are not set, or not valid i.e. is there an error log that would be more insightful?
  • Options
    Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    No error log... you may just try recreating the SmartAssembly project in the new version.