Options

IIS Application pool hung and has to be killed

pmcpmc Posts: 5
[SOLVED] - The Redgate hosting process had to be killed manually in task manager after PP had crashed.

Hi again, unfortunately we have run into even more trouble. Don't know if I should create a new thread for this, split this one if you find it appropriate.

Yesterday while profiling an ASP.NET application running on IIS 7, Performance Profiler stopped responding and eventually crashed. After this, we didn't start it again and went home for the day. Today when trying to start PP again, I get the error message

"Could not start IIS"
"Cannot profile web application on port 8013: the port is already in use - please select a different port"

I understand that PP creates a copy of the application to profile and then hosts it on 8013 (for example) by itself, but now it seems stuck there without being able to repair it. If I navigate IE to localhost:8013, the web application is indeed running.

If I enter a new port in PP for profiling the web application, I again get "Could not start IIS".

Any ideas? Thank you.

Comments

• Options
    Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Hello again,

I don't think this is the kind of situation you can avoid. The process for profiling ASP .NET hosted in IIS goes a little something like this:
    • Gather configuration about the web app to be profiled
    • Launch w3wp.exe to load that web app on its' own port
    • Launch a new instance of IE with a hook to notify when the IE window closes
    • CoCreate the profiler inside the web app
    • Create IPC between the web app and APP
    • Continue monitoring until you close the web browser or "stop profiling"
    • Tell Windows to kill the w3wp.exe process
    If Profiler crashes between the penultimate and final task, it can't get around to killing w3wp.exe.