Options

New procedures getting generated when not required (cmdline)

CraigOttleyCraigOttley Posts: 19
edited September 24, 2010 5:54AM in SQL Doc Previous Versions
Hi!

I like the fact that new tables, views etc get picked up when generating the documentation via command line. How ever some areas of our Documentation are getting generated when we don't need them and it requires manual intervention in the project :(

Example:
I've got a project to just generate documentation for Tables and Views nothing else. So naturally in the project i've selected Tables and views, any new/altered tables and views get added autmatically which is fine.

What's not good is when a New/Altered Procedure, Function, User etc (Basically anything other than a table or view) is added/altered the Documentation get's generated for those as well. I didn't want those so have to go in the project(s) untick the items i don't want and re-run the process.

Anything you can suggest as i can't change the XML for the sqldoc project?

Comments

• Options
    Hi,

I've contacted you directly about this, so keep an eye out for our email.

Thanks!
    Systems Software Engineer

Redgate Software

• Options
    OK, currently the command line doesn't support choosing which object types to include or exclude- the project files appear to maintain a full list of objects, even where you ticked or unticked the top level item in the tree (i.e. "Table", "View" etc.)
    So, when a new object is added, it seems to just get included by default.

I guess ideally we'd need an extra command-line option to allow you to define the object types to be used. I have logged a feature request for this; but I can't say when it would be likely to be implemented.
    Systems Software Engineer

Redgate Software

• Options
    I've come up with a work around for this. I've created a user for SQL Doc and revoked all privileges except for Tables and Views :D . SQL Doc can't generate documentation for what is hasn't got access to.

Simple Example
    USE master
    GO
    GRANT VIEW ANY DEFINITION TO SQLDoc
    GO
    REVOKE VIEW ANY DEFINITION FROM SQLDoc
    GO

[/code]