Options

Log shipping error

HansBleijendaalHansBleijendaal Posts: 4
edited June 17, 2005 10:08AM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
I am using Windows2003 server with SQLserver2000STD.

With SQL-BACKUP LOGSHIPPING I have problems. I am getting errors at the standbye server side, see below.
After analysing the problem my conclusion is that all the transaction logs are saved locally, but the COPYTO command failed now and then.
How can we fix this?

Backup transactionlog job:
C:\Program Files\Red Gate\SQL Backup\SQLBackupC" -sql "BACKUP LOG wpisystem TO DISK = ''D:\SQL Data\tlogs_backup\<AUTO>'' WITH COPYTO = ''\\728PRPRINS1\tlogs_restore\''"

Error message restore transactionlog:
Msg 4305, Level 16, State 1, Server 728PRPRINS1, Line 1
The log in this backup set begins at LSN 170000000041900001, which is too late to apply to the database. An earlier log
backup that includes LSN 161000000080300001 can be restored.
Msg 3013, Level 16, State 1, Server 728PRPRINS1, Line 1
RESTORE LOG is terminating abnormally.

Comments

• Options
    Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Hello Hans,

Normally, you will get an error if the COPYTO fails. This will appear in the SQL Backup logs in %allusersprofile%\Application Data\Red Gate\SQL Backup. You can also have SQL Backup send an email in the case of an error by specifying MAILTO_ONERROR in the backup script.

I think that more than likely the restore files are being moved/deleted inappropriately on the restore end. Are you using WITH MOVE to remove the transaction logs that had already been restored to an out of the way location? Using ERASEFILES or ERASEFILES_ONSTART could be deleting transaction log backups that you need or leaving log backups behind that have already been processed.