Unknown Resolver: {azureAdInteractive}

AzhkanizkaelAzhkanizkael Posts: 25 Bronze 2
edited July 19, 2023 2:10PM in Flyway Desktop
Version: Flyway Desktoip Enterprise v6.5.0
Flyway Engine: 9.20.1
Git: 2.40.1
Redgate Compare: 1.14.1.10156

Authentication Method: Azure Active Directory Universal with MFA

Whenever I go to connect to a database or generate a migration, I'm met with this error "Flyway returned a non-zero exit code. Unknown Resolver: {azureAdInteractive}"

Any ideas?
Tagged:

Best Answer

• Options
    Peter_LawsPeter_Laws Posts: 220 Silver 2
    Hello all,

We believe this issue should be resolved as of the release of Flyway Desktop 6.11.2.
    Please do let us know if you have an issue on that version or later.
    Kind regards
    Peter Laws | Redgate Software
    Have you visited our Help Center?

Answers

• Options
    Hello Azhkanizkael,

Are you using the updated config settings via the top of the project please?
    You don't need to, I'm just establishing so bounds to investigate from.
    Kind regards
  • Options
    Yes, it's using the new .toml files

Updated to 6.5.3 today and still no luck.

• Options
    My apologies for this rather crude test. I'm currently tracking an issue where the upgrade process isn't validating dependencies correctly resulting in some orphaning. However until that's resolved the fix is quite involved and the fast solution is crude.

Please could you uninstall and reinstall the tool, verifying the install directory is empty once installed?
    If the issue persists after that then it's unrelated to the issue I'm referencing.

Alternatively installing and testing the same process on another machine would be an equally viable test, whichever is the least effort for you.
    Kind regards
  • Options
    Uninstalled Flyway entirely
    Created an empty folder for the project to reside in
    Downloaded the latest (6.5.4)
    Installed to: "C:\Program Files\Red Gate\Flyway Desktop\flyway-desktop\Flyway Desktop.exe"
    Restarted Computer
    Created a new project and put it in the new empty folder
    Connect to VPN to ensure I can connect to database
    Connect to Dev Server => input values for AAD Universal with MFA and database server/name

SQL State : S0001 Error Code : 18456 Message : Login failed for user ''.

Attempted connection on an old project that wasn't upgraded yet to the .toml files and with the same information I was able to connect just fine.
  • Options
    Thank you so much for all the detail, it's most helpful!

Ok so it appears that the reinstall fixed the issue I was concerned about, but the TOML config failed to correctly handle the auth. If you open the TOML file in the project directory, is the target host and auth method correctly represented?

I'm glad you're unblocked, but I'd still like to get to the bottom of this if you're willing.
    Kind regards
  • Options
    It can't save the connection because it thinks it cannot connect. Whereas the other projects can connect just fine w/ the same values using the old config files.
  • Options
    On the left is the new .toml files and on the right is the old .json files.

Same machine, same version of flyway, left one is just trying to create a new repo and the right is using an existing one.

• Options
    Updated to 6.5.5

new project:
    Still unable to connect to the database.

existing project:
    stayed on .json files and was able to connect just fine.
    upgraded to .toml files and connection fails. Unknown resolver: {azureADInteractive}

• Options
    Understood, thank you for the distinction, I think I know what it is now, I'll come back once I've verified.
    Please stay on the .JSON format since that's working, it will persist for a little while before TOML replaces it.
    Kind regards
  • Options
    Updated to v6.5.14

new project:
    Still unable to connect to the database with Azure AD Universal with MFA. - Cannot create new flyway projects unless I downgrade to a previous version of Flyway Desktop as the current version forces usage of the .toml files

existing project:
    stayed on .json files and was able to connect just fine.
    upgraded to .toml files and connection fails. Unknown resolver: {azureADInteractive}
  • Options
    edited November 21, 2023 5:44PM
    Confirmed, the update to 6.11.2+ worked.
  • Options
    Thank you so much for confirming Azhkanizkael, I'll wait to confirm this works for the others too.

It would be much appreciated if you could help by marking this as answered, that should help others suffering from the issue to find the answer.
    Kind regards

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file