Options

SQL Compare won't load past initial page and UI looks corrupted

CodingIsCool111CodingIsCool111 Posts: 2 New member
edited May 19, 2023 9:27AM in SQL Compare
I'm using v 14.5, which has been working fine since I installed it for the first time several weeks ago.

But then a few days ago, it seems it slowly started to break apart.

It began with checkbox buttons that come up on the schema diff results results becoming really small.
Then the "generate script" button became non responsive.

After that, when loading the app for the first time, the database selection wasn't as responsive as before. Normally when you type in the name of a database in a DB engine it will autosuggest. It stopped doing that. Clicking the compare button yielded no response 60% of the time until that became 100%. Interestingly, when I did click the button, it seems something was happening because the taskbar icon was showing the green bar, but the UI wasn't indicating anything.

Now I'm at the point that when I open up the app it looks like this and I can't do anything. (Sorry this is the only screenshot I took)

Clicking any of the icons doesn't do anything, even the close button. I can only terminate the app using task manager. The other window which normally loads for me to select my databases doesn't appear anymore. As you can see everything looks pretty small than how it normally looks.

This is the latest result after reinstalling twice. I cleared the red gate registry when reinstalling and still the same thing.

I'm wondering if this is a wider issue on my PC, because my SQL prompt plugin on Microsoft SSMS was acting up too, where it wasn't loading when I wanted to change my style settings.

Any help?

Best Answer

• Options
    CodingIsCool111CodingIsCool111 Posts: 2 New member
    Answer ✓
    Ok the situation seems to have resolved when I upgraded to SQL compare 15. My other issue with SQL Prompt resolved when I downgraded by SSMS from v19 to 18 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Answers

• Options
    Kurt_MKurt_M Posts: 178 Silver 1
    Hi @CodingIsCool111

That's definitely a strange issue, one that I haven't seen before. This could definitely be a PC issue, and one that springs to mind is potentially the lack of storage space on your drive.

You could try uninstalling all of the Redgate products and then only installing SQL Compare to see if that might help.

Ideally checking the logs for SQL Compare, or any of the other products, might give us a bit more information about what's going on. Potentially the Windows Event Viewer as well. 

Kind regards,

Kurt McCormick
    Product Support Engineer, Redgate

Need help? Take a look at our Help Center