Feature Requests

I'm very excited for future development of SQL Prompt within ADS. I've been using SQL Prompt since it was PromptSQL in Query Analyzer. I'm happy to ditch SSMS as it has always been slow, bulky, and frequently freezes. The lightweight, text edit/keyboard focus of ADS is exactly what I'm looking for.

The built-in Snippet engine is great. I don't see a need for enhancement. The SQL Prompt snippet import is nice, but a little buggy. And honestly it's more of a 1 time thing since once I'm set up, I'm done.

The built-in Peek definition for objects is also adequate. It's not as nice as the various informational overlays SQL Prompt provides, but it gets the job done. I do miss how SQL Prompt smart caches everything so the information display is instant instead of a .5 - 2s delay.

The built-in autocomplete is decent. It does basic table/view/column/variables/table variable/temp tables pretty well. One feature I miss here is preferencing JOIN conditions based on FK relations and/or matching data types.

Probably my biggest wish is the "as you type" features like capitalization, qualification, table/column aliases, quote/bracketing, expand *. Anything to make the SQL exactly how I want it with minimum keystrokes is a plus.

In the formatting space, I don't use full formatting that often since I can't seem to get the rules to express my exact preferences. However, I frequently execute operations like capitalize, add/remove brackets, qualify/unqualify, especially on selected text.

Automatically adding the template after INSERT TABLE is a huge help. Also highlighting corresponding column/values when your cursor is on one or the other is very helpful.

Lastly I do use the "Inline Exec" feature a lot (I requested it for SQL Prompt)
Tagged:

Best Answer

• Eddie DEddie D Posts: 1,780 Rose Gold 5
    Hi ChrisRickard,
    Thank you for your forum post.  I will feedback your comments to the SQL Prompt Development Team and Product Manager.

In regards to your feature requests, you may wish to post your feature suggestion  in the SQL Prompt UserVoice forum.  If there are other SQL Prompt users who like your suggestions, they may vote and comment on the feature requests you submit, which will increase the chances of a suggestion being included in a future version of SQL Prompt.

You can also review the existing requests and vote upon yourself.

Many Thanks
    Eddie
    Eddie Davis
    Senior Product Support Engineer
    Redgate Software Ltd
    Email: support@red-gate.com

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file