How do you use cloud databases? Take the survey.
Options

Email notifications are failing - but they are not

I have recent started using email alerts for deadlocks, long running processes etc for a database. They are being generated and I am getting email ok. However, I am now seeing the following notification in red at the top of the dashboard:

"Email notifications are failing: Configure Notifications"

I can see the following error in the base monitor log:

System.Net.Mail.SmtpFailedRecipientException: Mailbox unavailable. The server response was: 5.7.1 Unable to relay
   at System.Net.Mail.SmtpClient.Send(MailMessage message)
   at RedGate.SqlMonitor.Engine.Alerting.Base.Core.Email.SendMail.SendEmail(EmailServerSettings settings, String subject, IEnumerable`1 emailAddresses, String body, NameValueCollection headers, String fileToAttach)System.Net.Mail.SmtpFailedRecipientException: Mailbox unavailable. The server response was: 5.7.1 Unable to relay
   at System.Net.Mail.SmtpClient.Send(MailMessage message)
   at RedGate.SqlMonitor.Engine.Alerting.Base.Core.Email.SendMail.SendEmail(EmailServerSettings settings, String subject, IEnumerable`1 emailAddresses, String body, NameValueCollection headers, String fileToAttach)

I am not sure what additional configuration is required as the alerts being triggered are sending email alerts.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Gareth
Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    The notification banner just gets raised if it gets a 5.7.1 server response. Really at this stage I can only suggest trying to investigate why your mail server is sending those out.
    Have you visited our Help Centre?
  • Options
    OrionUKOrionUK Posts: 26 Bronze 1
    I had resolved this but was unable to delete the post before it had been approved and posted. However the issue was simply that the SQL Monitor server had not been allowed to relay external mail on the Exchange server.