Options

FORCE_LEGACY_CARDINALITY_ESTIMATION option causes formatting and in some cases loss of intellisense

Hello,
   I recently upgraded from 9.x to 9.4.4.7199 version of sql prompt and I noticed that adding 
 OPTION ( USE HINT ( 'FORCE_LEGACY_CARDINALITY_ESTIMATION' )) causes sql prompt to not format it correctly.

In some large sql procs, it completely stops giving intellisense and starts adding random text when trying to auto complete etc.

Answers

• Options
    created a sample

ALTER PROCEDURE dbo.testProc
        @endDate DATE = NULL
    AS
        BEGIN

IF OBJECT_ID(N'tempdb..#temp') IS NOT NULL
                DROP TABLE #temp;
            CREATE TABLE #temp ( ReleaseDate DATE NOT NULL );

INSERT INTO #temp ( ReleaseDate )
                        SELECT t.TradeDate FROM ( VALUES ( '1/1/2019' )) AS t ( TradeDate )
            OPTION ( USE HINT ( 'FORCE_LEGACY_CARDINALITY_ESTIMATION' ));

--intellisense/autocomplete works here
            --SELECT * FROM #temp AS t;

UPDATE ite SET ite.ReleaseDate = '1/1/2010' FROM #temp AS ite
            OPTION ( USE HINT ( 'FORCE_LEGACY_CARDINALITY_ESTIMATION' ));

--intellisense/autocomplete is lost if hint in the update is used. if we comment out the hint, then it starts working here as well.
            --if you take all these statements out of a proc, then intellisense/autocomplete works.
            SELECT * FROM #temp;

END;

• Options
    after opening a ticket and no resolution at this time... I would like the formatting module to be open sourced so that if we can fix it, then we can compile that dll and drop it into our local machine to remove such small annoyances.

https://redgate.uservoice.com/forums/94413-sql-prompt/suggestions/36714730-open-source-sql-prompt-s-formatting-module

• Options
    Thanks for resolving this issue in v9.4.17.9196 release.