Options

Filter to differences of a single compare column?

When comparing tables with large number of columns and differences are found in many columns, is it possible to select a single column and filter the displayed records to the differing values of said column? Otherwise, we are left scrolling and scrolling to try to find the different records highlighted.
Tagged:

Best Answer

• Options
    GrantGrant Posts: 89 Silver 5
    JeremyL wrote: »
    Thank you Grant, I was not aware of that feature. It helps slightly but still doesn't solve the root issue of scrolling through thousands/millions of records trying to find the few differences of a particular column.

Yeah, sorry. It's just not currently set up to search & filter on the data returned. If you really need to dig into that in that manner, I'd suggest using T-SQL queries at this time.

Answers

• Options
    I'm not totally sure what you're needing, but at the top of the SQLDataCompare results pane there are tabs that let you view All Rows, Only in Left, Only in Right, and In both but different
    Also if you click any of the headers in the results pane the values will sort based on that column
    HTH!
  • Options
    JeremyLJeremyL Posts: 4 New member
    Specifically in the "In both but different" tab, the column headers are highlighted to indicate somewhere in the rows, differences have been found. Currently, we must scroll to find the differences which will be highlighted. I would like to be able to filter (think Excel Auto Filter) for differences of a particular column. Not having this feature is a major pain when thousands/millions of differences are found across dozens of columns. One column could be responsible for the majority of differences but other columns might contain only a few differences. Rather than scrolling to find them through the thousands/millions of records, I want to filter to the differences of the column of my choosing. Sorting does not reveal the differences.
  • Options
    One thing you can do is to go to the little gear symbol on the left and click on it. There you can turn off all columns that are identical. It doesn't filter as such, but you'll only be left with the columns that have actual differences. That should make things a lot easier to deal with.
  • Options
    JeremyLJeremyL Posts: 4 New member
    Grant wrote: »
    One thing you can do is to go to the little gear symbol on the left and click on it. There you can turn off all columns that are identical. It doesn't filter as such, but you'll only be left with the columns that have actual differences. That should make things a lot easier to deal with.

Thank you Grant, I was not aware of that feature. It helps slightly but still doesn't solve the root issue of scrolling through thousands/millions of records trying to find the few differences of a particular column.
  • Options
    MzwandileMzwandile Posts: 1 New member
    In addition to the question above and specifically looking the actual differences, it would be helpful to further filter or apply conditions on what you would want to update on either columns following the condition. i.e. if column A = null and column B = 123, so i would apply my custom filter to specifically update the targeted columns only.