How do you use cloud databases? Take the survey.
Options

Upgrade to 7.0.11.7623 caused 100% cpu on several SQL 2008 servers

Upgraded from 7.0.3 to 7.0.11.7623 on Friday morning last week. Within an hour I had a prod server hit and stay at 100% cpu and be totally unresponsive. At the time I didn't put this down to SQL Monitor as a reboot seemed to fix it. Later in the evening I had another 2 servers hit 100% cpu and the first one went back to 100% too. Despite a reboot two of them rapidly grew back to 100% cpu. As no changes had been made to databases, apps or the servers and they had different systems and loads, plus different cpu and RAM available, the only thing that linked them was the operating system and version of sql - plus they were being monitored.
All are running Windows Server 2008R2 Standard or Enterprise Edition SP0 with SQL Server 2008 SP1 Standard edition.
Other servers running the OS with SP1 and SQL 2008 SP2, SP3 or SP4 are completely unaffected.
I'm also monitoring SQL2008R2, 2012 & 2014 on Windows 2008R2 SP1 and 2012R2 with no issues.

In the end we had to stop SQL Monitor services, reboot the SQL servers, start SQL Monitor again and then suspend the affected servers in SQL Monitor. Since then all has been ok so I've put this down to the OS/SQL combination being monitored.

I thought I should highlight this problem even though I suspect your answer is to apply the latest SP to Windows and SQL - I've been trying to get that done for a long time but have met the usual obstacles with legacy systems and risks.

Any advice or thoughts would be welcome.
Tagged:

Comments