Options

License for Test Server

appwrightappwright Posts: 62
edited November 20, 2006 1:38PM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
I have 4 licenses of SQL Backup Pro. However, when new releases come out and when setting up test scripts to try new things I would like to be able to run on a test development server.

Can you tell me how to go about getting a license for testing only? I'm sure others probably run into the same issue as I do so it may good for everyone to know.

Even something like a test license that would be limited to just a few databases or something like that would be great. Just something to be able to run the full production version on a test machine before updating live servers.

Comments

• Options
    Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Hi Todd,

If you download and install SQL Backup on a new server, then you will automatically get an unfettered 14-day trial period to use the software as you wish.

If SQL Backup had been previously installed and the trial period expired, then you can request a trial licence key from sales@red-gate.com. Again, this will give you a 14-day trial.

Please let us know if you need anything further.
  • Options
    Hi Todd,

If SQL Backup had been previously installed and the trial period expired, then you can request a trial licence key from sales@red-gate.com. Again, this will give you a 14-day trial.

Please let us know if you need anything further.

Well there-in lies the problem. It's a pain to have to keep asking for a trial license :wink:

Would be nice to have some kind of license that would basically cripple the software for production use, but allow it to be used on a development server. Maybe limit the backed up DB's to only 2 or something like that. Don't allow it to restore a DB older than 4 hours even. Something like that should make it useless for production but perfect for testing ??
  • Options
    Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Hi,

That's something that we can think about. We certainly want to prevent someone from 'trialling' the software indefinitely!
  • Options
    Hi,

That's something that we can think about. We certainly want to prevent someone from 'trialling' the software indefinitely!

I'm sure of that :D

Maybe something like limiting the databases to just MODEL, PUBS, NORTHWIND or something along those lines. That should pretty much make it useless outside of testing ??