Restoring from a file copied to server

azlonghornazlonghorn Posts: 2
edited November 11, 2009 4:41AM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
Greetings,

I have several servers being backed up with Red Gate. I want to re-load a test server database with a more recent backup of our production database. I have copied the production sqb files from our Network SAN onto the test server. When I try to restore, though, and select Browse for backup files, I am unable to actually browse. Is this something that isn't allowed?

I should add I am on version 5.3.0.178

Comments

• Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Hello,

Thanks for the information -- it is important to know that your SQL Backup version is at 5.3 because the file browser behavior changed again in 5.4.

In 5.3 server components, the SQL Backup file browser uses a combination of a delegated credential of the SQL Server service account and the SQL Backup Agent service startup account, so both accounts need access to your network resource in order to browse it. In addition, the SQL Server account impersonation requires you to be a local administrator on the SQL Server if you connect the SQL Backup Console using Windows Authentication. If you connect using a SQL account, you need to set the "AllowSqlBrowsing" registry key.

Simple, no? :-)

In 5.4, the file browser impersonates the Windows user running the SQL Backup console, which brings in its' own different issues.