Warning 151:MAILTO Error Failed to send mail. (Read Timeout)

MindfluxMindflux Posts: 47
edited September 30, 2010 3:54AM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
I just started getting this warning in the SQLBackup activity history. I still get my backup emails per usual, so obviously "Failed to send mail" isn't accurate.

This just cropped up out of NOWHERE. It was working fine (reporting everything was ok) and now it's not.

I can use the "send test email" function and it works as advertised. Though the function seems to freeze for a moment (claiming it's not responding) and then it snaps back to life and my Outlook chimes that I have new mail a moment later.

Is there a timeout setting I can change?

Comments

• Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Hello Ryan,

I don't know of any way, published or non-published, to increase the timeout of the SQL Backup mail module. I guess that what is happening is that the mail has succeeded, but SQL Backup is timing out while waiting for an acknowledgement from the SMTP server. If that's the case, I think the desired behavior would be to report an error, since the software can't determine whether the mail was sent successfully or not.

You can try running an SMTP test from the SQL Server and actually read the messages that the mail server is sending -- maybe that would help you work out what the mail server is doing. Please see Microsoft's website for the instructions on how to test an SMTP connection using telnet:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/153119
  • Hello,

I'm stumbling on the same problem with SQL Backup. Since a few days, I get the Warning 151: MAILTO error: Failed to send mail (Read Timeout)

But, we still get the mails sent from SQL Backup.

We didn't have this problem before, and can't see a reason why it suddenly started to appear.

Mindflux, have you found a solution to this ?

Thanks.

Mathieu