Options

ANTS Profiler 5 not working on server 2003 64

Hi,

My machine is running the following.
Server 2003 64bit, IIS6 in 32bit mode.

I already had ANTS Profiler 4 running on my machine and followed the suggestion of upgrading to 4.3. In order to do the upgrade I had to manually stop the top ANTS Services. After the install i started the two services and from then on it has not been working properly. I tried rebooting and such without any luck.

I Then uninstalled ANTS 4.3 and downloaded ANTS 5 still it was not working. I gave up but after 1 hour or so my local websites failed to work. After hours of debugging and googling i found this thread:
http://www.red-gate.com/supportcenter/C ... 000362.htm

I followed the instructions and the sites are now working but ANTS still wont start. Here is the error message:
Could not start IIS.
RedGate.Profiler.Engine.Exceptions.CannotStartSessionException
at bJ.Launch()
at RedGate.Profiler.Session.ProfilerSession.j()

Caused by:

Could not start IIS.
RedGate.Profiler.Engine.Exceptions.CannotStartIisSessionException
at bQ.PerformLaunch()
at bJ.Launch()

Caused by:

Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
System.NullReferenceException
stack trace:
at RedGate.Profiler.Engine.Startup.IIS.IIS6Utilities.GetW3wpArgs(Uri url, Boolean profileOnNewPort, Int32 newPort)
at bp.StartProfilingIIS(String currentUserName, String subprocessVariableValue)
at RedGate.Profiler.Engine.Startup.IIS.IISStarter`1.StartProfilingIIS(String currentUserName, String subprocessVariableValue)
at System.Runtime.Remoting.Messaging.StackBuilderSink._PrivateProcessMessage(IntPtr md, Object[] args, Object server, Int32 methodPtr, Boolean fExecuteInContext, Object[]& outArgs)
at System.Runtime.Remoting.Messaging.StackBuilderSink.SyncProcessMessage(IMessage msg, Int32 methodPtr, Boolean fExecuteInContext)
rethrown at [0]:
at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.HandleReturnMessage(IMessage reqMsg, IMessage retMsg)
at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.PrivateInvoke(MessageData& msgData, Int32 type)
at RedGate.Profiler.Engine.Startup.IIISActuator`1.StartProfilingIIS(String currentUserName, String subprocessVariableValue)
at bQ.PerformLaunch()

I am using the option of an unused port.
Hope you can help me out.

Kind Regards
Jacob

Comments

• Options
    We should have this bug fixed in version 6. The problem here is that ANTS is having difficulty determining which of your sites corresponds to the URL you've asked to profile. There's an issue with the error reporting code that causes a NullReferenceException to be thrown instead of the proper error.

It should be possible to work around this issue in most cases without affecting how your server works by reconfiguring it.

There are three main causes of this issue in ANTS 5:

Sites distinguished by IPv6 addresses instead of IPv4. The profiler currently treats all of these as the same. The solution is to assign IPv4 addresses and give them to the profiler instead.

Sites configured by hostname, with a default site with a blank hostname. The profiler currently will treat any of the sites with a specific hostname as ambiguous with the default one. Assigning a specific hostname to all of the sites will work around this issue.

Similarly, assigning a specific IP address to some sites and wildcards to others will give the profiler a problem. Giving all sites a specific address or all sites a wildcard address should work around this.
    Andrew Hunter
    Software Developer
    Red Gate Software Ltd.
  • Options
    Hi and thank you for your quick reply.

I should mention that all of this is my local machine. I currently have two websites running both of which are acces by unique "xxx.localhost" hostnames.

The 1st site produces the prior error. The other site produces this error in the browser:
    Attempted to read or write protected memory. This is often an indication that other memory is corrupt.
    Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.AccessViolationException: Attempted to read or write protected memory. This is often an indication that other memory is corrupt.

So none of your suggestions apply.

Kind Regards

Jacob