Options

Urgent - Windows DEP killing SQL Backup

sqlguysqlguy Posts: 2
edited November 11, 2009 7:38AM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
We have had situations where Windows 2003 Enterprise x64 Server SP2 with Data Execution Protection ( DEP ) has been killing Redgate backups/restores, by killing the execution of SQLCoreService.exe for Redgate Backup 6.2.0.134 :shock:

A Question for Redgate gurus - we are thinking of excluding each of the 5 instances of SQLCoreService.exe from DEP by specifiying each of these 5 exes ( one for each of the 5 SQL instances ) in DEP. DEP has the provision to exclude user specified files from its protection.

Is this OK, or do I need to specify other Redgate executables as well on each node of our SQL cluster?

Thanks in advance,

SG

Comments

• Options
    Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Hi SQLGuy,

I haven't seen SQL Backup 6 trigger any messages from DEP before, although we had a spate of incidences with this back in the version 4 days.

If this is becoming a problem again, I'd encourage anyone having this problem to contact support [at] red-gate.com so we can get to the bottom of it!

SQBCoreService.exe is the component of SQL Backup that does the lion's share of the work and is the only dedicated process that SQL Backup uses. Everything else is done in the extended stored procedure (xp_sqlbackup.dll) which is running in-process with SQL Server. Therefore if you need to get up and running quickly, excluding all instances of SQBCoreService.exe will stop DEP from shutting down SQL Backup on the SQL Server.
  • Options
    Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    I had a look back through our records and found that historically, there have only been problems with DEP when doing the licensing and activation of SQL Backup. The last known issue regarding DEP was successfully closed out in 2007.