Options

Performacce profiler doesn't profile anything

Hi,

I just downloaded and installed Red Gate Perfromance profiler. I want to profile an Outlook VSTO addin.

1) I Open Reg Gate Performance profiler and select OUTLOOK.
2) It launches Outlook successfully, but NOTHING gets profiled. In status bar of RED GATE, it keeps on showing message "Launching Outlook.exe".

Kindly refer to the link below for screenshot

2n239eq.png

Can you tell me what I should do?

Thanks.[/img]

Comments

• Options
    Hi,

what that would usually mean is that it's waiting for some managed code to execute so that it can profile it. When unmanaged code is the only thing running the profiler often looks like that.

However, one of the developers here just looked at Outlook 2007 and it looks like Outlook allocates too many TLS (thread local storage) slots for the profiler to be able to load. This may be the problem you are seeing and we are not too sure how that can be worked around.

Have you tried using the managed code component you are wanting to profile within Outlook? Does ANTS Profiler definitely still not do anything. If that's the case then it would appear to be the problem with TLS.

Stephen
  • Options
    Hi,

Thanks for the quick reply. I don't know what the issue is but would like to tell you is that, the very same project I am able to profile in my office whereas at my home I am not ... now this is strange isn't it.

I didn't get complete meaning of "...did you tried managed code....." ??

Thanks .
  • Options
    Are there any differences in setup between your home and office?

- Are they both running Outlook 2007 (this problem is specific to 2007)
    - are both computers the same (x86 or 64-bit for example)

If it's possible to force the managed code to load sooner then it may be possible to work around the issue that way.

Regarding the other comment i made, i just meant that you were sure the managed code was already being executed. i.e. you had started using Outlook and whatever managed code you are trying to profile. If you have already successfully used the profiler in your office then I would assume so.

Stephen
  • Options
    Hi Stephen,

Yes both my office pc and home pc have the same configuration i.e.

Windows XP SP3, with Outlook 2007

the only difference is that in office I have Intel processor whereas at home I have AMD, but will this make any difference?

You were talking about a workaround to load managed code sooner..what is that?

I really want to evaluate this product ...

Thanks.
  • Options
    Just to be totally clear -

you have already been evaluating the profiler at the office where it's working fine? (Just when you said that you really wanted to evaluate it sounded for a second like you hadn't managed to try it at all. I'm assuming you just meant you want to evaluate it more).

It's unlikely the processor type will have any effect.

It really does sound like the TLS slots have been filled on your computer which is the problem. Other programs will be responsible for this really - can be caused by things like anti-virus programs, other Office programs, other-addins etc... Even deleting other applications will not ensure that it will then work because there's no way to tell what the slots currently consist of which makes getting around it impossible to try and find an easy solution. This doesn't appear to happen with 2003 because of the fewer use of slots which leaves one available for the profiler.

Stephen
  • Options
    Hi Stephen,

Thanks for your help. I am able to profile after uninstalling Kaspersky Internet Security 2010 :-)
  • Options
    That's great!

Thanks for letting me know.

Stephen