Options

Filter won't stick !

kenargokenargo Posts: 14
A real annoying problem I am seeing is that during memory profiling I set a filter but if I change a selection or perform a snapshot the filter is cleared. How can I get the filter to persist and not undo itself when I change a selection or a new snapshot?

It takes 2x the effort to do memory investigations since the view of the data is continuously resetting itself.

Comments

• Options
    Hi Ken,

could you walk me through what filters you are applying and how many snapshots are being taken.

The filters do or at least should stick when both changing snapshots or when taking a new snapshot. As far as i'm aware we haven't come across a scenario where they don't.

Thanks,

Stephen
  • Options
    Sure, start the memory profile and take a snap-shot. Then go into the classes tab and change the filter so anything. Now click on any item in the list.

What happens after I select an item is the filter is cleared and the list is filled with all items. In order to get back down to the filtered list I must choose the filter 'history' and select the filter again.

Same thing happens is I have a filter active and take a snapshot.
  • Options
    Hi Ken,

I'm not sure what would cause this problem. The simple act of selecting an item from the Class list certainly shouldn't clear anything.

Does this happen with every application you memory profile?

There's an option in the Help menu 'open log folder...' which has error logs although i doubt they will show anything but we can check. I'll drop you an email and you can send them to me.

Do you have AMP installed on any other computers or perhaps a colleague has it? Do they experience the same issue?

Stephen
  • Options
    I sent logs to one of the support people; it happens all the time for me. Windows 7 RTM if that makes a difference.
  • Options
    Have have a similar problem, but it's not with the filter, it's with the find text box. I enter some text in the find window, and then when I click on anything in the list, the find text box clears itself. I have to go and enter the stuff again to re-apply the find filtering.
  • Options
    The find box can sometimes clear itself, if you click out of it, and the thing you clicked would be filtered out by the find box. This is deliberate, as we thought it would be more annoying to click something, only to have it disappear. If you press enter after every search you make, to ensure the class list is completely finished filtering, then the problem shouldn't happen.

Thanks,
    Alex
    Developer,
    Red Gate .NET Tools
  • Options
    Hi Alex. Thanks for the response.

I have version 5.1.0.15 of ANTS memory profiler (hah.. nice easter egg in the about box), and it does not behave as you describe.

When on the Class List, if I move focus away from the find box, it always clears. It clears regardless of whether I press the enter key or not, and clicking on different items in the class list also seems to make no difference as to whether it clears or not.

It would be nice if it didn't try to out-smart me by clearing itself.

Regards,
    -Scott
  • Options
    I can confirm that with the same revision 5.1.0.15 the same behavior still exists and is most annoying. the last message here was back in late October, is there any resolution to this?

I am evaluating your product and this is the main item that appears to be on EVERYONE'S list. Our applications are large but we manage our name spaces very well, so having the filter stick would be very productive for us.

Is this being looked at and when could we see a solution?
    Thanks,
    Brian
  • Options
    I'm pleased to say I think we've pinned this down, and found it happens on all searches containing an uppercase letter. This issue is fixed in version 5.2 which we hope to be able to release later this month.

Thanks for your help finding this,
    Alex
    Developer,
    Red Gate .NET Tools