Hang and Crash when taking a snapshot

dmd1214dmd1214 Posts: 20
To avoid any possible confusion, I'm working on profiling an entirely different application than I was in my other posts... same machine though.

When I click Take A Snapshot, "private bytes" counter drops to 0 and the spinning "This is going to take a few minutes" thing spins around for 4-5 minutes, then says "finished" but no results are ever displayed.

The app works fine while I'm profiling it, but it seems to not like pictures.

Also, the IIS logs report the normal page hits when I'm profiling, but don't report any crashes.

I believe this is the log file you are going to ask for:

14 Sep 2009 21:08:15.201 [1] INFO RedGate.Profiler.Logging.LogService - Starting new ANTS Memory Profiler 5 session
14 Sep 2009 21:08:15.217 [1] INFO RedGate.Profiler.Logging.LogService - Assembly version: 5.1.0.15
14 Sep 2009 21:08:18.612 [1] WARN RedGate.Profiler.OS.Local.LocalWindowsVersionInspector - Detected Windows version: Windows XP Professional (5.1 32-bit)
14 Sep 2009 21:08:18.612 [1] WARN RedGate.Profiler.IISSupport.Local.LocalIisInspector - IIS is supported on installed OS version
14 Sep 2009 21:08:18.627 [1] WARN RedGate.Profiler.IISSupport.Local.LocalIisInspector - Result of check to see if inetinfo.exe running: True
14 Sep 2009 21:08:18.627 [1] WARN RedGate.Profiler.IISSupport.Local.LocalIisInspector - Checks confirm that IIS is running.
14 Sep 2009 21:08:18.627 [1] WARN RedGate.Profiler.IISSupport.Local.LocalIisInspector - Checks confirm that IIS is enabled.
14 Sep 2009 21:08:18.627 [1] WARN RedGate.Profiler.IISSupport.Local.LocalIisInspector - Successfully detected IIS installation: IIS 5.1 (Auto-detected)
14 Sep 2009 21:08:18.627 [1] WARN RedGate.Profiler.IISSupport.Local.LocalIisInspector - Checks confirm that IIS is installed.
14 Sep 2009 21:08:25.369 [27] WARN RedGate.Profiler.Engine.Startup.IIS.IIS5Utilities - Using default .NET 2.0 credentials
14 Sep 2009 21:08:25.400 [ConfigurableThreadPool thread] WARN RedGate.Profiler.Engine.Startup.Sessions.IISSession - Couldn't find w3wp.exe in C:\WINDOWS\system32\inetsrv
14 Sep 2009 21:09:28.379 [Profiler pipe monitor] WARN RedGate.Profiler.Engine.Startup.Sessions.IISSession - The local app data path for IIS is C:\Documents and Settings\HNRDXPLTL3W8898\ASPNET\Local Settings\Application Data, so ANTS will use C:\Documents and Settings\HNRDXPLTL3W8898\ASPNET\Local Settings\Application Data\Red Gate\ANTS Profiler to store results
14 Sep 2009 21:11:02.353 [Profiler pipe monitor] ERROR RedGate.Profiler.Engine.Startup.Basic.PipeConnection - Failed to retrieve message from core
14 Sep 2009 21:11:02.353 [Profiler pipe monitor] WARN RedGate.Profiler.Engine.Startup.Basic.PipeConnection - Received a 0-length message
14 Sep 2009 21:11:02.478 [Profiler pipe monitor] WARN RedGate.Profiler.Engine.Startup.Basic.PipeConnection - Pipe has been closed; most likely the process being profiled has terminated.
14 Sep 2009 21:11:03.337 [32] WARN RedGate.Profiler.Monitoring.PerformanceCounterFactory - Process 5236 is apparently not running: Process with an Id of 5236 is not running.
14 Sep 2009 21:11:03.353 [32] WARN RedGate.Profiler.Monitoring.PerformanceCounterFactory - Process with an Id of 5236 is not running.
14 Sep 2009 21:11:03.353 [32] WARN RedGate.Profiler.Monitoring.PerformanceCounterFactory - System.ArgumentException
14 Sep 2009 21:11:03.369 [32] WARN RedGate.Profiler.Monitoring.PerformanceCounterFactory - at System.Diagnostics.Process.GetProcessById(Int32 processId, String machineName)
at System.Diagnostics.Process.GetProcessById(Int32 processId)
at RedGate.Profiler.Monitoring.PerformanceCounterFactory.GetInstanceNameForProcessID(Int32 processID)
14 Sep 2009 21:11:03.384 [32] WARN RedGate.Profiler.Monitoring.PerformanceCounterFactory - Process 5236 is apparently not running: Process with an Id of 5236 is not running.
14 Sep 2009 21:11:03.400 [32] WARN RedGate.Profiler.Monitoring.PerformanceCounterFactory - Process with an Id of 5236 is not running.
14 Sep 2009 21:11:03.400 [32] WARN RedGate.Profiler.Monitoring.PerformanceCounterFactory - System.ArgumentException
14 Sep 2009 21:11:03.400 [32] WARN RedGate.Profiler.Monitoring.PerformanceCounterFactory - at System.Diagnostics.Process.GetProcessById(Int32 processId, String machineName)
at System.Diagnostics.Process.GetProcessById(Int32 processId)
at RedGate.Profiler.Monitoring.PerformanceCounterFactory.GetInstanceNameForProcessID(Int32 processID)

Thanks,

- Doug

Comments

• Hi Doug,

The IIS application pool is definitely crashing when you attempt to profile it, and it won't be easy to find the cause of the crash. One of the more common causes have been the permissions, particularly to the temporary folders used by .NET serializers. You can try overriding the temp folder location and see if that helps.

To set a temporary temp file location, you can set a user environment variable called RGIISTEMP and set the value to a folder on local disk that both your account and the system account has read/write access to.
  • I have also sent you a private message with a link to the latest memory profiler build, which apparently has a raft of fixes specific to the IIS crash problems.
  • Hello,

I have the same exact issue using the latest build I downloaded this morning 5.1.0.15. I

I only have the performance counters for .NET and then the default one checked for Memory(Large Object Heap size).

Clicking on Take Memory Snapshot takes about 10 seconds to run against 6 minutes of data and then the finished Icon just stays there and the profile closes the application.

I am profiling a .net 3.5 win forms application running as administrator.

My Machine: Windows7 RTM X64, quad core, 8gb of ram.

Thanks
    -Blake Niemyjski
  • Brian,

I posted this respone a couple days ago, but I just noticed that it is not listed in the forum. Here it is again.

I installed the private build you sent, and still get the same problem. I also noticed the event log error below. I googled around for that error, and it lead me to a hot fix which I installed, but it did not have any affect. Sorry, but I've forgotten exactly which hotfix I tried.

I think it is important to restate that the application works fine if I access it normally, but breaks if I profile it. Also, I am able to profile other similar apps on the same machine which has a problem.

Event Type: Error
    Event Source: .NET Runtime
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 1023
    Date: 9/23/2009
    Time: 10:10:26 PM
    User: N/A
    Computer: HNRDXPLTL3W8898
    Description:
    .NET Runtime version 2.0.50727.832 - Fatal Execution Engine Error (7A0592A2) (80131506)

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
  • All these issues sounds like .NET crashes. Please see both these articles about how to prevent certain types of crashes (apply both fixes if necessary)

http://www.red-gate.com/supportcenter/C ... spx?p=ANTS Memory Profiler&c=knowledgebase%5cANTS_Memory_Profiler%5cKB200907000416.htm

http://www.red-gate.com/supportcenter/C ... spx?p=ANTS Memory Profiler&c=knowledgebase%5cANTS_Memory_Profiler%5cKB200908000419.htm
  • Chris,

I've seen references to these links in other posts, but I didn't think they were my problem.
    http://www.red-gate.com/supportcenter/C ... spx?p=ANTS Memory Profiler&c=knowledgebase%5cANTS_Memory_Profiler%5cKB200907000416.htm

For this one, I thought it did not apply since I am trying to profile an asp.net app. Can you suggest how I can apply this to my asp.net app which does not (as far as I know) have a main method?

http://www.red-gate.com/supportcenter/C ... spx?p=ANTS Memory Profiler&c=knowledgebase%5cANTS_Memory_Profiler%5cKB200908000419.htm

For this one, I had actually already applied this fix in response to another issue I had a while back:
  • Hello,

We do not have a wpf application and the application is not crashing.. Please advise.. Can you enter a go-to-meeting?

Thanks
    -Blake Niemyjski
  • dmd1214 wrote:
    I've seen references to these links in other posts, but I didn't think they were my problem.

Chris, Brian,

Any thoughts on my problems? Do you think it is time to escalate my issue?

- Doug
  • You have an open support case: F0026637. I'll try to get Chris to look into it again today and get back to you by email.

More than likely, you have run into some new scenario that causes ANTS Profiler to crash your application and we may need to send a memory dump off to development to figure out what the cause is.
  • I echo Brian's statement- best thing to do is obtain a mini-dump so we can get the full stack trace at the time of teh crash and we'll analyse it using our debug symbols.

Please mail: support@red-gate.com

Thank you.
  • bniemyjski - you can join me on a shared desktop session here:

http://www.red-gate.com/support/contact.htm

(at the bottom right is a link to "Live Support")

(This goes for anyone else, of course :)
  • Hot off the press!

We think we know what causes the crash now and have made a private build. I'll email it to anyone who emails support with their ANTS log file (will email you soon Doug).
  • Hot off the press!

We think we know what causes the crash now and have made a private build. I'll email it to anyone who emails support with their ANTS log file (will email you soon Doug).

You guys are awesome! That 2 year support contract I bought was the best money I ever spent.

Everything is working.

Thanks!