Erratic Tooltips

Dave PendletonDave Pendleton Posts: 104 Bronze 3
edited December 7, 2010 11:14AM in SQL Prompt Previous Versions
Why are tooltips present for some columns/objects and not for others?

When working on a SELECT statement with multiple JOIN clauses, tooltips appear for some columns/tables but not for others.

The syntax of the SELECT is correct and runs as expected.

Refresh Suggestions does nothing.

Comments

• Anu DAnu D Posts: 876 Silver 3
    Hello Dave,

Thanks for your post.

Can you kindly let us know the query using which I can replicate the issue?

This will help us to investigate the issue further.
    Anuradha Deshpande
    Product Support
    Redgate Software Ltd.
    E-mail: support@red-gate.com
  • There is no specific query that causes this to occur. Usually, it is just a SELECT with one or more JOIN clauses (and aliased tables).

I have also noticed erratic behavior when using table aliases without the AS keyword, although I don't know if this is related. Sometimes including AS and refreshing suggestions will help.

Usually, I cut the SQL from the Query Window, open a new window, paste the SQL, refresh suggestions and then tooltips will work as expected.
  • Anu DAnu D Posts: 876 Silver 3
    Thanks for the update Dave.

I am trying to replicate the issue but it works fine for me.

Can you kindly let us know whether the tooltips doesn't work for any specific objects?
    Anuradha Deshpande
    Product Support
    Redgate Software Ltd.
    E-mail: support@red-gate.com
  • A year later, and this is still not resolved.

Is there a limit to the length of a SELECT statement?

I have a SELECT statement with 89 columns, many of which are CASE statements. After 79 columns, the tips stop working. Anything above that they work fine.
  • In addition, when opening this source file (a view in VS2005), tooltips appear for functions when I click the column name, e.g.
    LEN([My Column]) = 0

but no column metadata appears when I hover over (or click) the column name. The syntax of the SQL (as a whole) is correct.

Refreshing suggestions does not help.