Options

Tags cause the Network copy location "Test" to fail

kyle.neierkyle.neier Posts: 4
edited September 14, 2009 3:11PM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
SQL Backup 6.2.0.134

When using the "Schedule Backup Jobs" wizard, it appears that adding any tags to the "Network copy location" invalidates the test and you receive the "Folder does not exist warning". If the tags are removed, you receive "Server has the correct permissions."

To evaluate, I set up a share on a machine that both I and the service account are local administrators. I add "\\SERVER1\BackupShare" to the box and hit test ... successful. I modify the path to "\\SERVER1\BackupShare\<DATABASE>" and the test fails.

This does not seem to affect the actual operation of the product. If I ignore the warning and save the job, the appropriate sub-folders are created when the backup files are copied.

Is there an alternate way I can use tags to allow the test to pass? If not, is this something that can be added as a bug fix?

Thanks!

Kyle

Comments

• Options
    Hi Kyle,

Many thanks for your post.

Can I confirm, does the folder exist prior to the actual backup? For example, if you were setting up a scheduled job to backup AdventureWorks, do you actually have a folder in the location \\SERVER1\BackupShare\AdventureWorks already?

If the folder does not exist then you will receive the message that the test fails. However, if you leave the location as it is then SQL Backup will automatically create a folder in the location you specified that did not work.

The only way to ensure tags pass is to ensure that the relevant folders are created prior to the actual job being created.

Pete
    Peter Peart
    Red Gate Software Ltd
    +44 (0)870 160 0037 ext. 8569
    1 866 RED GATE ext. 8569
  • Options
    Just thinking about this a little further, I suppose I am looking at it from the perspective that I would expect the tool to tell me the folder doesn't exist based on whatever folder the tag referred to, however regardless of that I guess it would be nice to know that you can actually browse to the directory to create / update the folder in the first place rather than receive the test error.

If you agree with this Kyle, let me know and I will add this as a feature request.

Pete
    Peter Peart
    Red Gate Software Ltd
    +44 (0)870 160 0037 ext. 8569
    1 866 RED GATE ext. 8569