Options

Comparing non-local servers

lewis.vealelewis.veale Posts: 10
edited May 18, 2005 9:05AM in DTS Compare 1.x
I have just registered and run DTS Compare for the first time. If I try to compare any servers other than (local) it just freezes up on the 'registering <<servername>>' dialog.

I have tried both Windows and SQL Server authentication.

I have to shut it down from Task Manager, where it shows as 'not responding'. It's version 1.54.

Any advice? :(

Thanks in advance
Lewis

Comments

• Options
    Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Hi Lewis,

How far does the software get? Does it happen during 'registering DTS Packages'?
  • Options
    Hi Brian

Yes, that's exactly where it freezes up. I just tried (local) as the first server, and another machine as the second server. It successfully registered the DTS packages on (local), but has now frozen up on the other one.

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Cheers

Lewis
  • Options
    I have exactly the same issue.

local works ok, network one hangs on registering dialog
  • Options
    Brian

Do you have any suggestions on why this might be happening?

Is there anything we can contribute to help you debug the issue?

Cheers
    Lewis
  • Options
    I left it running overnight, and it did complete without error by the morning. no idea how long it took.

but task manager stats showed it consumed 130mb of mem. to compare a local server to a prod server with a dozen small dts jobs.

I have 150 servers to do so this could be a long job!

I could do with a stripped down compare ie Dts job Exists, compare creation dates,sizes and number of tasks with connection properties would suffice for a first pass.

looks like a few hours playing with vb.net and the dts objects
  • Options
    ive managed to create a vb.net project that will loop through 150 servers. listing dts jobs on each and then making a text file of the steps and properties in each job that dumps the file on a local drive. its taking about 10 minutes per server at the moment. server ip list is held in an xml config file.

im looking to compare these with a tool like windiff but in a batch mode any ideas ?

email me if you would like the code. colin@doubleclicksystems.co.uk
  • Options
    Cool - well done Colin!

I use Beyond Compare to batch compare text (or any other) files. It's really good.

I will email you for the code if you don't mind.
This discussion has been closed.