Options

Error 18456 opening backup for restore to SQL Server 2000

tbostruptbostrup Posts: 20
edited September 8, 2009 11:00AM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
I was going to restore a backup to my default instance on (local) (SQL Server 2000), and got the error:

Reading filelist of "{my backup}"

SQL error -2147217843: Communication link failure
SQL error 4: Shared Memory Provider: I/O Error detected in read/write operation [4].
SQL error 18546: Login failed for user 'NT AUTHORITY\LOCAL SERVICE'.
Server : {My Computer Name}
Windows authentication
Failed to connect to SQL Server instance: {My Computer Name}

SQL Backup exit code: 586
SQL error code: 18546

I then tried the same against a (also local, but referenced as {My Computer Name}\{instance} in SQLBackup) SQL Server 2008 instance, and it connected OK.

Both SQL services ran under the 'NT AUTHORITY\LocalService' account. I checked the registry (HKLM\SOFTWARE\Red Gate\SQL Backup\BackupSettingsGlobal\(LOCAL)\ServiceLogin, which was empty (as was the SQL 2008 instance entry), but I edited the value to make sure (selected all (which was nothing), pressed Delete and clicked OK).

I changed the Log In for the SQL Server 2000 service to another user and back to LocalService to ensure that there wasn't an issue with its configuration (and stopped and started the service), but with the same result.

I then changed the SQL Server 2000 service to run under the Local System Account, and that resolved the issue.

But why?

I'm running locked down with only shared memory configured, and would like to use the LocalService account.

Comments