SQLBACKUP resource taking long time to go offline

hubrianhubrian Posts: 2
edited September 8, 2009 3:14AM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
Hi,

We recently installed SQL Backup 6.2 in our new cluster (sql 2005 sp2 64bit, windows 2004 64bit). There are multiple instances on each physical node.

When we tested our failovers, we found out that SQL backup resources were taking much longer time to go offline (compared to v5.x we have in another cluster), which causes the whole failover process to be much longer.

Is there anything we can do (or we missed) that can speed it up?

Thanks very much,

Brian

Comments

• peteypetey Posts: 2,358 New member
    Could you please quantify the time differences to go offline, between version 5.x and 6.x?

Thanks.
    Peter Yeoh
    SQL Backup Consultant Developer
    Associate, Yohz Software
    Beyond compression - SQL Backup goodies under the hood, updated for version 8
  • Hi,

Please also inspect the Event Viewer. If you see a number of clustering errors regarding failed write to a temporary file, this may be related to a known issue with registry key replication which can also increase the failover interval.

The workaround is to disable this feature for SQL Backup and manually manage any its registry keys you want to set from their defaults.

To disable, enter Cluster Administrator and then remove the key entries from the replication tab in SQL Backup's properties dialog.

I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble, please let me know if the above helps.

Regards
    Robin Anderson
    Development
    Red-Gate Software
  • oderksoderks Posts: 67 Bronze 2
    I'm experiencing the same issues on an x64 cluster:
    - 6.2 takes long time to go offline on failover
    -after failover the (customized) settings are gone on the active node expect for the email settings.
    - eventviewer states errors about not being able to save the registry:
    Error per key:

Cluster service could not write to a file (C:\DOCUME~1\XXX-XX~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\CLS9C7.tmp). The disk may be low on disk space, or some other serious condition exists.

after that:

Cluster service failed to save the registry key Software\Wow6432Node\Red Gate\SQL Backup\BackupSettingsGlobal\ITMP when a resource was brought offline. The error code was 5. Some changes may be lost.

I just sent an email to support with all information I could gather.

EDIT: Problems also reference to http://www.red-gate.com/MessageBoard/vi ... php?t=9513