Options

Cache management

ivanrdgzivanrdgz Posts: 16
In version 3.9 we used to have a cache management (or something of that kind) where we could setup witch SQL instances to ignore and other cache related settings.

In version 4 I only see "Refresh Suggestions"

Where did it go? :D

Comments

• Options
    Eddie DEddie D Posts: 1,781 Rose Gold 5
    Thank you for your post into the forum.

There is no longer cache management in SQL Prompt V4.

The SQL Prompt caching mechanism was modified or improved with the release of SQL Prompt V4, so the cache management settings in Version 3 no longer apply.

If you are writing a query on a database while someone else is making changes to the structure of that database, the suggestions offered by SQL Prompt may become out of date.

For example, if someone has added several tables to the database while you have been connected to that database, these tables will not appear in the suggestions box.

To reload the database objects, on the SQL Prompt 4 menu, select Refresh Suggestions or press Ctrl + Shift + D. Any changes to the database structure will now be reflected in the suggestions box.

You should also refresh suggestions when you have created a new object in the current query, and executed that block of code. For example, if you create a table NewObject and execute the statement, then continue to write the query, the NewObject table will not appear in the suggestions box until you refresh the suggestions.

Refreshing suggestions applies only to the database to which you are currently connected.
    SQL Prompt automatically refreshes a database's objects when you close down your query editor application, then re-open it and re-connect to that database.

I hope the above answers your question.

Many Thanks
    Eddie
    Eddie Davis
    Senior Product Support Engineer
    Redgate Software Ltd
    Email: support@red-gate.com
  • Options
    My main question was how do I prevent SQL Prompt from accessing a SQL instance?

Thank you for your post into the forum.

There is no longer cache management in SQL Prompt V4.

The SQL Prompt caching mechanism was modified or improved with the release of SQL Prompt V4, so the cache management settings in Version 3 no longer apply.

If you are writing a query on a database while someone else is making changes to the structure of that database, the suggestions offered by SQL Prompt may become out of date.

For example, if someone has added several tables to the database while you have been connected to that database, these tables will not appear in the suggestions box.

To reload the database objects, on the SQL Prompt 4 menu, select Refresh Suggestions or press Ctrl + Shift + D. Any changes to the database structure will now be reflected in the suggestions box.

You should also refresh suggestions when you have created a new object in the current query, and executed that block of code. For example, if you create a table NewObject and execute the statement, then continue to write the query, the NewObject table will not appear in the suggestions box until you refresh the suggestions.

Refreshing suggestions applies only to the database to which you are currently connected.
    SQL Prompt automatically refreshes a database's objects when you close down your query editor application, then re-open it and re-connect to that database.

I hope the above answers your question.

Many Thanks
    Eddie
  • Options
    Thank you for your reply.

The option to exclude SQL Prompt accessing SQL instances has been removed. Is this an option you would like to see returned to the product?

Many Thanks
    Eddie
    Eddie Davis
    Redgate Software Ltd
  • Options

The option to exclude SQL Prompt accessing SQL instances has been removed. Is this an option you would like to see returned to the product?

Many Thanks
    Eddie

Definitely. For example, we have a policy again using any third party tool directly on production environment. Lame or no, but it is a policy we have to obey.

I did notice the improvement on speed but still need more time to test this release before I put a fight to abolish that policy, at least with respect to SQL Prompt :)
  • Options

I have submitted a feature request for the development team to consider, for SQL Prompt so users can add SQL instances that wish to ignore. The reference number for this request is SP-2802.

Hopefully the requested feature will appear (or return, depending on your point of view) in a future version of SQL Prompt.

Many Thanks
    Eddie
    Eddie Davis
    Redgate Software Ltd
  • Options
    It would be excellent to add a functionality so that every structure of every object in database that SQL Prompt shows would be always up to date, otherwise we constantly need to refresh the cache so that we get the most up to date structure of an object, which we do constantly and if we forget to do it, it happens that older version of an object with new functionality overwrites the newer version. You should add a new setting for this functionality.